Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any reason not to use SugarCube?

edited February 2014 in Help! with 1.x
So, I'm about to start a new project and I'm wondering if there's any reason not to switch to SugarCube. The only macro I'm currently using is L's replace set, which seems to be available. Not saving the game state in the URL sounds better to me. Any downsides I'm missing, though?

Comments

• I can't think of any reason not to use it. The developer is active on these forums and is keeping pace with changes to Twine 1.4 (assuming that's what you're using), so even if you ran into a show-stopping bug, it would probably get fixed quickly. I've been using SugarCube with the old Twee for a few months now and barely encountered any bugs at all in SugarCube, despite its officially being in beta status.
  • Thanks for the reply! I think I'm going to go for it, since nobody's clamoring about any issues.
  • Erik, could you explain how you managed to do that?

Where do you get sugarcube? How do you import or add it to twee?
  • http://www.motoslave.net/sugarcube/
    Download the appropriate zip file for the version of twine that you're using, and put the header.html file into the Twine folder containing the other headers (Sugarcane, Jonah etc.) Then choose it from inside Twine.

I've never used Twee, but I'm sure someone more qualified can help you there.
  • Sooooo, the back button takes me back, but the links on those pages no longer work?

I'd be fine with the back button simply not working, but having it break my game seems less than ideal...
  • mostly wrote:

I've never used Twee, but I'm sure someone more qualified can help you there.

Instructions are in this post.

[quote author=Morgan_R link=topic=1460.msg2392#msg2392 date=1392132794]
    Sooooo, the back button takes me back, but the links on those pages no longer work?

Using the <<back>> macro in SugarCube works fine for me. What does your code look like and what happens if you follow the back link?
  • I've never seen any problems with links using the browser history (i.e., browser's back button). Is it possible that you inserted the links with interactive code that isn't being fired when you go back? http://www.motoslave.net/sugarcube/docs/#macrocat-interactive
  • I'm somewhat interested myself.  SugarCube's history code is, relatively, old and well tested.

What browser, and version, are you using?
  • I'm using the latest version of Firefox, on Windows 7... and now that I've mentioned the problem, I can't reproduce it. Everything seems to work fine.

• [quote author=Morgan_R link=topic=1460.msg2410#msg2410 date=1392142085]I'm using the latest version of Firefox, on Windows 7... and now that I've mentioned the problem, I can't reproduce it. Everything seems to work fine.

Did you, perhaps, hit return in the awesomebar (url/location bar)?  I'm seeing some oddness in FF 27.0 when I try reloading a tab that way.  FF seems to lose window.history.state, it becoming undefined, when you screw with the bar (maybe other ways).
  • TheMadExile wrote:

[quote author=Morgan_R link=topic=1460.msg2410#msg2410 date=1392142085]I'm using the latest version of Firefox, on Windows 7... and now that I've mentioned the problem, I can't reproduce it. Everything seems to work fine.

Did you, perhaps, hit return in the awesomebar (url/location bar)?  I'm seeing some oddness in FF 27.0 when I try reloading a tab that way.  FF seems to lose window.history.state, it becoming undefined, when you screw with the bar (maybe other ways).

Pretty sure not. Pretty sure I just hit the back button a couple times...