Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lowercase letter "i" always misplaced

When I type this:
This story is a test of the letter "i".

<<set $s="i">>

Maybe <<print $s>>t works now?

qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnmQWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBNM
It appears like this:
undefined

The "i"s are always misplaced, even if I click "New Story" and test play it without making any changes.

The "i"s are misplaced in Firefox, but not in Google Chrome. However, Firefox displays other people's online Twine games just fine.

I've attached the HTML file that Twine generates with this example.

Comments

• It looks fine in my Firefox (no misplaced "i"s). So it seems this would be an issue not with your copy of Twine but with your copy of Firefox? Maybe run Firefox in safe mode and open the file again? Run in safe mode by holding down Shift and clicking on your Firefox icon, I believe. Or go to Firefox's Help menu and choose "Restart with Add-ons Disabled."
  • It looks perfect in Safe Mode!

Thanks. It's still annoying, but I'll just have to work around it...
  • In the latest version of Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, I do not encounter any errors.

Also, for L if he sees this, I get that IE error in Lopsy's above story HTML as well: "Your browser could not save the state of the game . . ."
  • Lopsy wrote:
    It looks perfect in Safe Mode!

That make me very suspicious of the computer's integrity.
  • Hi Lopsy,

if it looks perfect in Safe Mode, then one of your Firefox add-ons is interfering with the html file that Twine generated, because Safe Mode is Firefox with all add-ons disabled. To figure out which one, you'll need to disable individual add-ons, restart Firefox if necessary, and then reload your game page. Process of elimination.
  • Ah, I missed that it was working fine in Chrome.
  • Note that in the screenshot, the i's in the credits text are fine. So it seems that only i's from passages are misplaced (StoryTitle and StoryAuthor are passages too). Probably some add-on intercepts text being inserted by JavaScript.
  • FWIW I sort-of know what the problem here is, and have implemented a change in 1.4.2 that should mitigate it.
  • Great! If it helps, the offending add-on was Avast Online Security.
  • Thanks for letting us know!