Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some annoying things about Twine...

I am very impressed with how slick Twine looks and how easy it makes writing, but there are a few things that annoy me, and I am posting them here so the developers are at least aware of the issues.

1. When I do "New passage here", the new page appears way to the left. It seems to put the new page in the next space - which is not what I want, now I am 40 passages in.

This seems to be an issue only after a certain size; at first it puts the passage in the right place. It is only when the game is big that it sends it off somewhere.

2. I have to select a passage, before double-clicking to open it. It would be better if double-clicking an unselected passage both selected and opened it.

3. Export to RTF is a great idea, but it misses spaces after links.

You can [[go north|North]] or not.

Becomes

You can go northor not.

Obviously the spell checker then flags that as an error! And as the export to RTF is there for spell checking, this is not ideal.

Comments

• The wrote:

1. When I do "New passage here", the new page appears way to the left. It seems to put the new page in the next space - which is not what I want, now I am 40 passages in.

This seems to be an issue only after a certain size; at first it puts the passage in the right place. It is only when the game is big that it sends it off somewhere.

Which version of Twine are you using? There was a bug related to new passage positioning fixed in the 1.4.2 beta, if I recall correctly.
  • I am 1.4.1. Good to know that will be fixed soon; that was probably the most annoying.

Another thing is that when a passage has a long name, its beginning will get missed when you open up the passage. It is still there, but not visible.

And another thing, the "Home" and "End" buttons should send the cursor to the start and end of the line as displayed in the text area, not the start and end of the paragraph.
  • The wrote:

Another thing is that when a passage has a long name, its beginning will get missed when you open up the passage. It is still there, but not visible.

This has also been fixed in the new beta
  • The passage positioning bug you mention is *fixed* in the new 1.4.2 beta, and you can open your game created in 1.4.1 in the 1.4.2 beta right away without issue! :)
  • The wrote:

And another thing, the "Home" and "End" buttons should send the cursor to the start and end of the line as displayed in the text area, not the start and end of the paragraph.

On Windows:
    Use Alt + Home and Alt + End to go to the start or end of the current line.
    These are the default key bindings of the StyledTextCtrl component used by the passage editor.
    NOTE: I believe the WordWrap mode used effects what the Home and End keys do.

On Mac (darwin):
    Use CTRL + Left Arrow and CTRL + Right Arrow to go to the start or end of the current line.
    The default bindings have been overwritten for Mac (darwin)
  • I have downloaded the beta, I will see how that goes, thanks.
  • The wrote:

2. I have to select a passage, before double-clicking to open it. It would be better if double-clicking an unselected passage both selected and opened it.

I am unable to reproduce this: if I double click on an unselected passage, it will be opened. However, the tool tip seems to interfere with double cilcking: if the tool tip pops up, an extra click is required. Maybe that is what you're experiencing?
  • The wrote:

3. Export to RTF is a great idea, but it misses spaces after links.

You can [[go north|North]] or not.

Becomes

You can go northor not.

Obviously the spell checker then flags that as an error! And as the export to RTF is there for spell checking, this is not ideal.

I was able to reproduce and then fix this issue. The space was present in the output, but seen as part of the RTF control word, not part of the text. Links were not the only place where this could happen. Details here.
  • I'm on 1.4.1, with a Win8 computer.

Not sure if these issues have been addressed elsewhere... they're not dealbreaking, but can be annoying...

Whenever I open up a passage by double-clicking, the entire text of the passage is highlighted.

Whenever I build a story (just to my Documents folder), it states, "You can't open this location using this program. Please try a different location." Of course it lets me build it just fine, but the error message is a bit irritating.
  • mth wrote:

The wrote:

I am unable to reproduce this: if I double click on an unselected passage, it will be opened. However, the tool tip seems to interfere with double cilcking: if the tool tip pops up, an extra click is required. Maybe that is what you're experiencing?

That could be it. If I hover over a passage without selecting it, the tooltip appears, if I then move slightly so it disappears, I only need to double click. In fact, if I move over and double click fast then it opens, so yes, that does seem to be the issue.