Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Bookmarks" in Sugarcane Without Sidebar?

I searched Google Groups, but my searchfu wasn't strong enough. All I found was old stuff seemingly irrelevant to 1.4.1.

Does anyone know how to use Bookmarks in Sugarcane without the sidebar? I'm not talking about the bookmarks/favorites in a web browser. I'm talking about the passage tag that allows the use of the Rewind link in the sidebar of Sugarcane.

I don't want to allow my player to use the back button, but I certainly would like to create save points. For example, a passage like so:
Would you like to save?

[[Yes|Bookmark Passage]]
[[No|Continue]]
Then, at certain points, like after player death, I could use a link like, [[Return to Last Save Point|Rewind]].

Really, just being able to create a link to the last saved point would work well enough for me.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Short answer: give up and use Sugarcube. ;)

This was discussed in parts of my horribly convoluted thread here:

http://twinery.org/forum/index.php/topic,1410.0.html
  • I knew I read about it somewhere, but I couldn't find the thread for the life of me. Hell, it looks like I even replied! XD

Looks like there was no real answer, either. Dang. I'm surprised because I would think this would be a snap since it's already implemented. Guess not. :(

This seems to be the heart of that branch of the conversation:

L wrote:
    There's been more than one request for something like a bookmark() function, which I believe I can add for 1.4.2.

mth wrote:

The word "bookmark" can mean two things:
    • a bookmark in the web browser
    • a passage tagged as "bookmark"
    Maybe the latter could be renamed to for example "checkpoint" or "milestone" to avoid confusion?

L wrote:
    I was planning on doing this, specifically renaming it to "rewind" on the basis that its existence enables the Rewind menu.

Also, I was intending "bookmark" to do something else: cause the Bookmark link to appear conditionally when Bookmark is off. This would enable a "limited undo" that could only send you to certain specific prior passages. (Which is basically what Rewind already does...)

Okay, I would only need Sugarcane's bookmark functionality if "undo" is set to OFF. Otherwise, the player can just click the back button.

Yeah, Sugarcane bookmarks would be great if they can be used in the passage when undo is set to OFF. Otherwise, they have no use for me or anyone who doesn't use the sidebar.

Thanks.
  • Yeah, it's annoying. Is there any particular reason you don't want to switch to Sugarcube? I was was concerned about the 'beta' status, but it's actually (IMO, and as far as I've delved into it) damn robust. My CSS was a complete mess (as you can see from the other thread), but fixing everything else was pretty easy (using find/replace in Twine). I'd say the biggest irk is initialising your variables, but you only need to do that for ones than can be checked before they are set.

Sugarcube's save functionality is awesome, TheMadExile had to help me loads but that's cuz I was doing something kind of ridiculous; what you want to do would be a cinch.
  • No reason, really. I've always read about SugarCube's save functionality and that would be the only reason I would make the jump. Just another headache other than that. Rather than one that did more, I'd rather have a header that did almost nothing; a blank slate that I could style with CSS just like I would any other webpage.

Other than saving. Saving is kind of a big thing.

Maybe I'll give it a try now. :)
  • I'd be interested in this too.  I briefly tried sugarcube, but I dunno, for some reason I felt like I preferred sugarcane?  It looks like something is in the works at least, and given that I haven't even started thinking about save functionality, I won't worry about it too much yet.