Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

using twine html to make ebook

I'm trying to figure out how to use ebook maestro with my twine games... but each time i open my compiled exe file it says "This story requires a newer web browser" o.o what the heck does that mean? My browser can run the html file but not the exe version???

Comments

• Looking at the eBook Maestro website I noticed that it uses the Internet Explorer rendering engine to show the HTML pages of your story.

What version of Windows / Internet Explorer do you have?

I ask because Twine outputs HTML5 comparable files which are only support in Internet Explorer 9 and above.
  • i'm using internet explorer 11.... is there anyway of changing it so that i can view it with another browser?
  • >> is there anyway of changing it so that i can view it with another browser?
    I have never used  eBook Maestro myself but my guess (as a programmer) would be no.

Your version of IE should have no problems with the HTML file generated by Twine and you can test this by opening the HTML in IE 11 before you convert it to an EXE. Testing using IE would be a good idea anyway because it would help you see any problems due to IE browser itself.

There is two basic ways the eBook Maestro people can be embedding the Internet Explorer engine within their software:
    1. They are using the current version that is installed on your machine. In your case IE 11.
    2. They are including/embedding a particular version of IE with their software. If this version is earlier than 9 then your in trouble.

I would suggest contacting the people at eBook Maestro and asking them which version of IE they are embedding.
  • If your comfortable with manually editing the HTML file generated by Twine you could try the following:

1. Open the generated HTML with a text editor.
    The start of the file will look something like

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8" />
    <title>The games name</title>
    2. Append this <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9"> within the the head section.

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8" />
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9">
    <title>The games name</title>
    3. Save the file and view within your IE 11

4. Convert the HTML to an EXE and test it to see if the hack worked.

5. Let us know the outcome. lol
  • yay it works thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!! now to distribute my text games for fun