Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CSS span syntax - quotes

Using one of the CSS examples found in the wiki - I added this to my stylesheet

.skill {
    color:magenta;
    letter-spacing:3px;
    font-size:1.5em;
}

Calling it with

<span class="skill">something</span>

as the examples suggest does NOT work for me.  It does work without the quotes however:

<span class=skill>something</span>

Twine 1.4.1 and I'm using sugarcane.  Not sure why but it works now.

Comments

• Muze wrote:
    Not sure why but it works now.

Okay. Glad we could help!

One thing to try when it seems in-line CSS tags don't work is switching from "span" to "div".
  • Muze wrote:

Calling it with

<span class="skill">something</span>

as the examples suggest does NOT work for me.
    If you're using OS X then you must switch "smart quotes" off in whatever menu or System Preferences it's in.

(Note to self: add a "quotes simplifier" filter thing to Twine.)
  • What I'm trying to saying in my original post is that it ONLY works for me when I DON'T use the quotes.  The examples show with quotes.  Does that work for everyone else?

I am using Windows.  But I should probably mention, I'm using XP in this case.  (I have some content on this machine that I am using (installed games with tons of mods, etc) that would take too long to recreate in a newer environment.)

Anyways maybe XP is the reason for that?  Everything else works pretty smoothly so far however.
  • Muze wrote:

What I'm trying to saying in my original post is that it ONLY works for me when I DON'T use the quotes.  The examples show with quotes.  Does that work for everyone else?

We know.  Unless I'm very much mistaken, Leon's point was that something is causing the quotes on your system to be input as smart/curly quotes (which are typographic, and not valid syntactically), instead of regular quotes.  And yes, it works for everyone else.

Since you're on Windows, are you by chance writing your story/game in a word-processor (e.g. Word, Wordpad, Google Docs, etc) and then copy-pasting the text into Twine?
  • Muze wrote:

What I'm trying to saying in my original post is that it ONLY works for me when I DON'T use the quotes.  The examples show with quotes.  Does that work for everyone else?

I am using Windows.  But I should probably mention, I'm using XP in this case.  (I have some content on this machine that I am using (installed games with tons of mods, etc) that would take too long to recreate in a newer environment.)

Anyways maybe XP is the reason for that?  Everything else works pretty smoothly so far however.
    This may seem untoward, but I'd like to see a sample of the non-functioning code with quotes, in the form of a built HTML file.