Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The blinking cursor..to blink or not to blink

Why does some twine games have a very noticeable blinking cursor on the screen somewhere and others not? is there a way to remove or prevent it if it does occur? its a bit of an eye sore.

Comments

• I don't think I ever saw what you describe. Is it the mouse cursor that is blinking or a separate cursor? Maybe a screenshot would help. Which browsers does it happen in? On which OS?
  • Its something ive seen now and again even with my twine games both in firefox and chrome.  I just wondered if others have sometimes noticed it too?

I came across this twine game via the rockpapershotgun website, http://rvaises.com/burial/ when i played it yesterday (Chrome browser) it had a cursor like | that was blinking above the text, when i played the game again today to take a screenshot, the blinking cursor thing its not there anymore.

I think it was a separate cursor away from where the text was being displayed and fixed at some point on the screen.

Next time i see it appear in a twine game i will take a screenshot of it.
  • Dazakiwi, I don't know if this is related at all...I know in Firefox, pressing F7 toggles "Caret Browsing" e.g. when it's toggled on it inserts a cursor into the webpage that you can then move around with arrow keys, use to select text and objects, etc. like in a text editor or word processor. Maybe this is what you're seeing? I don't know if other browsers have this mode. Usually Firefox "warns" you when you press F7, but it also has a checkbox in the warning dialog box that you can select to turn off the warning. Maybe something like this has happened in your browser and you're inadvertently turning caret browsing mode on and off without realizing it.
  • loopernow wrote:

Dazakiwi, I don't know if this is related at all...I know in Firefox, pressing F7 toggles "Caret Browsing" e.g. when it's toggled on it inserts a cursor into the webpage that you can then move around with arrow keys, use to select text and objects, etc. like in a text editor or word processor. Maybe this is what you're seeing? I don't know if other browsers have this mode. Usually Firefox "warns" you when you press F7, but it also has a checkbox in the warning dialog box that you can select to turn off the warning. Maybe something like this has happened in your browser and you're inadvertently turning caret browsing mode on and off without realizing it.

That could be a possibility, is there something similar in Chrome? lately ive been using chrome as my default browser and i am pretty show it was in Chrome i saw it too. I according to the wiki concerning "carret Browsing" its not built into Chrome, although it might be old information. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret_navigation
    It does seem its something like this that is causing it. 

Thanks for the suggestion Loopernow.
  • You did say it's fixed at a spot on the screen and not related to the text, so, um...nevermind probably. :P But it does kinda sound like something specific to your computer? Or also I wonder if it's something specific to your computer but related to Javascript, since Twine is full of that.