Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine for non-fiction?

Hi there!

Lovely forum you've got here. I have a question for you more experienced Twine writers/readers: have you seen Twine used to tell ostensibly non-fictional stories? Or, perhaps, semi-fictional stories? History?

I'm just starting work on my first Twine story, which is historically inspired and predominantly based on fact. I'd love to be pointed in the direction of other stories that have attempted this. And, if you've ever written a story like this, do you have any thoughts on the process? Did it work? Did you find a way to reconcile a "true story" with a branching narrative structure?

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts.

Comments

• I recall that there is a game idea on Steam Greenlight right now that deals with Hannibal and his conquests against the Roman Republic. It's mainly educational, but I suggest you check it out.
  • I certainly will. Thanks!
  • MJRParsons wrote:

Hi there!

Lovely forum you've got here. I have a question for you more experienced Twine writers/readers: have you seen Twine used to tell ostensibly non-fictional stories? Or, perhaps, semi-fictional stories? History?

I'm just starting work on my first Twine story, which is historically inspired and predominantly based on fact. I'd love to be pointed in the direction of other stories that have attempted this. And, if you've ever written a story like this, do you have any thoughts on the process? Did it work? Did you find a way to reconcile a "true story" with a branching narrative structure?

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts.

it's difficult to write a historical twine story but you can do truth and fact that's pretty easy
  • You could use Twine to do "what if?" stories. For example, there's a huge body of work analysing what could have happened at different points in WW2. That could easily be put into Twine to explore what would have happened according to researchers if Hitler didn't attack the Soviets, for example, or if he had been killed during the war.

Alternatively you could present a historical experience but through different perspectives, and allow the reader to switch to different viewpoints to explore different nuances. They wouldn't have as much agency in such a story though, so I think the what if scenarios would be more fun.