Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Haunting ground/ Demento, Amnesia style story brainstorm.

I have been thinking about doing a story in the style of the game. Namely, simple puzzles and lots of hiding around, not so much fighting.

I will appeciate tips to make a good horror story, since I'm not from an english country and some of the true meaning of sentences can be lost in translation/ horror is different in different cultures.

Comments

• Ok, not a popular idea. I will try something else later.
  • sorry @Rafe. Perhaps it's just that so many of us already have so much we are working on, that we find it hard to make time for helping with the creative process of other people (though you will see that many people on this forum do invest time in helping people with the technical side of things).

I am not into horror, so I can't give you any tips on that front. I am not even a "writer" or a programmer, and I am just learning stuff right now. But a tip would be for you to try to search for other horror Twine games, play them, and see what you liked and what you didn't. Then use that information to make something you would really appreciate seeing in a game. Chances are that if you do something you really enjoy playing, others will enjoy it too.
  • It is ok. If the idea is not popular enough, I can just try something else.

I'm not bothered by it, since I had barely started to collect idead for it, and am working in something else at this time.
  • @feliwebwork, I think he might have missed the point of what you were saying.

;)
  • Initial feedback on a forum is not a good way to judge how well received the final result will be.
  • Claretta wrote: »
    Initial feedback on a forum is not a good way to judge how well received the final result will be.

You might be right. I just did not want to finish a complex game just to have it wither on an interactive fiction webpage.
  • edited June 2015
    Well.... if it's horror, remember that Sub-Q ( @AteYourLembas ) will actually pay you for it. So maybe it won't just wither.

You know?
  • Oh, that would be great. I will be sure trying that.
  • I need some more help. Namely, ordering health levels in my horror game in a way english speakers can understand them. These are the words I came with:

badly hurt, scarred, wounded, in pain, bruised

Which order should they be?

If you would prefer a numbered health meter, feel free to tell so.
  • worst is badly hurt, I would say... since scarred is past tense, it means you lived. But badly hurt can kill you still.

This being the case, from least to most we have:

Bruised (least because again it is past-tense... so I'm fine, I just have a reminder)
    in pain
    scarred
    badly hurt

Wounded is vague and depends on the context. It can be emotional or from a bullet (for example).
  • Notice that 3 of them end with "ed"... this could make them all as having occurred sometime in the past.
  • Reordered them. Thank you @Sage.