Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changes to a story's stylesheet and javascript not saving in 2.0.6

I've been playing with adding css and javascript to a story using the two menu options in the editor. The problem is when I close and reopen Twine, and css or javascript I've added is lost.

Looking at the html file that Twine is creating in My Documents/Twine/Stories/ there's a style and a script element but they're both empty.

If I publish the story then the published version does contain the css and javascript.

This is using version 2.0.6 on Ubuntu 15.04 and happens with both the 32bit and 64bit versions. I'm using Harlowe, but the same happens with other story formats.

Comments

• edited July 2015
    Love Lubuntu, have to say.

I'm using a similar set-up as yourself and I haven't seen the same problems. I bring it up because I'd like to help you troubleshoot. I think the main difference in our installs though is that I use the offline browser version and not the one you have. This may be a deal-breaker but at least I have a similar system. Maybe I can install yours and we can see what we find.

What specific steps were you following when you encountered the problem?
  • edited July 2015
    Thanks for the help Gruik & Sage.

I downloaded the offline browser version and that one works. So it seems to just be an issue with the standalone version. I prefer to use that version because having the stories saved as file rather than in the browser's data store makes it easier to share them between different computers.

The steps to reproduce the problem are:
    create a new story
    select edit story stylesheet from the menu
    enter some css
    close the edit window
    return to the home screen
    shut down twine
    then when I rerun twine and go back into the story the stylesheet edit window will be empty

Edit: I just did a quick test on the standalone version on Windows XP (it's an old netbook that I'm about to put Linux on) and it had the same problem. So it doesn't seem to be a Linux specific problem.
  • Well then in that case i might suggest publishing the files as a workaround and sending those to your other computers.

An added benefit (though not truly the right solution to your problem) is that you will always have an exported backup.
  • That's probably the best solution for now. On the plus side it's a good opportunity to try out the beta of Harlowe 1.1.

Thanks again for the help.