Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sugarcube 2.x - Sidebar, Author etc.

edited September 2015 in Help! with 2.0
I'm thinking about starting to use Twine 2 (with Sugarcube 2.x) and have read up a little on the wiki about variables, macros etc.

What I can't figure out yet are how some of the things are handled now, which seemed (going by the documentation) more comprehensive (as it appears to me) in Twine 1. Namely things such as Author, StoryInit etc. which seemed to have been special passages beforehand, but now they aren't anymore.

Are they handled as variables now? Because if so, I can't really find what their exact name is, so I don't know how to set them. So as one example of my confusion, a simple question (to which there probably is a simple answer, but I'm a dunce so bear with me): How do I set the author name?

The next step for me would be to use the sidebar. I find tons of threads about changing its style (which is not my concern as of yet) via the CSS Stylesheet, but I don't find how I can add information to the sidebar (e.g. above the "Saves" button). Say, I want to display the author name, or the story title above the Saves button, or maybe just put in a random string to appear there. How would I go about that? Do I still have to create a separate passage with a special name or do I put that into any passage?

I'm aware these are the bare basics, but looking at other people's works hasn't really helped me either, so I found no other way than to ask the possibly dumbest questions. Thanks nonetheless for your time.

Comments

• If you look at Passage Names section of the SugarCube 2 documentation you will see that the StoryAuthor and StoryInit special passage still exist, the only difference in Twine 2 is that you have to create and name these passages yourself. It is the same for the StoryMenu and StoryCaption special passages which both appear in the Side-Bar.

The story's Title will be whatever you named your story project.
  • An addendum for StoryMenu and StoryCaption. The former is only for links, while the latter may contain whatever you wish.
  • Well, that was easy. I assumed that was done away with. Shouldn't assume anything when I'm just getting started on it, thanks a lot to you both!