Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An Error Occurred While Opening Your Story (Twine 1.4.2). Help?

Hi,

I downloaded the program yesterday and spent hours working on what will be a submission for a job. This morning when I went to open it I was unable to. I had to use video capture to catch the pop-up error it gave me, as it disappeared almost immediately.

It didn't matter if I went in through the program or through the file, I kept getting the same error. "An Error Occurred While Opening Your Story". (See screenshot 2) When I tried to open it using the online version of the program, I got "Sorry, no stories could be found in this file". (See screenshot 3) When I tried using a converter suggested in the forums I got a Javascript error "No Twine 1 story data found". (See screenshot 1)

Now I saved this story multiple times, and the file itself says it's 17kb big, which is not much, but it isn't zero either. I also can not start a new story as when I open Twine I am not given any other options other than hide or quit. I am running Twine on a Macbook Pro with Yosemite 10.10.5.

Please help.

Comments

• As is quite clearly noted, the converter works on HTML files compiled by Twine 1.x (i.e. the built story), not Twine 1.x source files (.tws). The online Twine is Twine 2.x, which also doesn't work with Twine 1.x source files.

Are you allowed to post the source file someplace, so it can be looked at?
  • Here is the file. It's for Bioware's new writer position.

Thanks!
  • I was able to successfully open your TWS file using the Windows version of Twine 1.4.2.

I have attached a Twee version of your story project in case you need to re-create a new TWS version. The twee file was created by using the File > Export > Twee Source Code menu option while your story project was open.

Do the following to create a new TWS file version of your story project from the attached twee file:
    a. Download the Wycome.twee file.
    b. Open Twine 1.4.2
    c. Select the File > New Story menu option to create a blank story project.
    d. Select the File > Import > Twee Source Code.. menu item to open a Import Source Code dialog.
    e. Select the Wycome.twee file and press the Open button.
    (note: the button may have a different name, I don't have a mac)
  • edited September 2015
    Like greyelf, I had no problems opening the file. The only thing I can see which might be a possibility is that Twine doesn't like the Japanese in your path (i.e. ストリ, which I assume is a transliteration of "story").
  • I moved the file to my desktop and it immediately worked! I'm both embarrassed and relieved that it was that simple a fix! Thank you for your help.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    I was able to successfully open your TWS file using the Windows version of Twine 1.4.2.

I have attached a Twee version of your story project in case you need to re-create a new TWS version. The twee file was created by using the File > Export > Twee Source Code menu option while your story project was open.

Do the following to create a new TWS file version of your story project from the attached twee file:
    a. Download the Wycome.twee file.
    b. Open Twine 1.4.2
    c. Select the File > New Story menu option to create a blank story project.
    d. Select the File > Import > Twee Source Code.. menu item to open a Import Source Code dialog.
    e. Select the Wycome.twee file and press the Open button.
    (note: the button may have a different name, I don't have a mac)

I found an easier solution - as this one required me to use "file>new story" which is tragically not something the program would allow. Thank you for your help
  • LanaSerra wrote: »
    I found an easier solution - as this one required me to use "file>new story" which is tragically not something the program would allow. Thank you for your help
    I am sorry that that the "file>new story" instruction was not clear enough, it means:

a. Click on the File menu item, this causes a sub-menu to be shown.
    b. Click on the New Story menu item on the sub-menu, this will cause a new story project to be created.