Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Error occurred when publishing your story

When I try to run my story I get this error "Error occurred when publishing your story". If I check the output I see "[15693:1122/184717:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(170)] Running without the SUID sandbox! "

Comments

• Specifics:
    • running from version downloaded from website
    • twine_2.0.10_linux64
    • Linux 4.2.6.... x86_64
    • Chrome: Version 46.0.2490.86 (64-bit)

I have no idea of what the error means or how to fix it. It seems to be some sort of Chrome error.
  • Hello Martin
    Not a Chrome error, I think. Beacause I get the same one with Firefox.
  • I had this error when I first downloaded twine 2.0.10. Also when I looked at the list of story formats there was an error for every format saying it couldn't be found.
    There seems to be an incomparability between how 2.0.8 and 2.0.10 store their story formats.
    I was able to fix the problem by deleting the folder ~/.config/Twine/ The folder will be recreated when you run Twine and it should be able to find the story formats.
  • There seems to be an incomparability between how 2.0.8 and 2.0.10 store their story formats.
    I was able to fix the problem by deleting the folder ~/.config/Twine/ The folder will be recreated when you run Twine and it should be able to find the story formats.
    You should create an issue on the project website if you believe you have found an incomparability/bug.
  • Here it is https://bitbucket.org/klembot/twinejs/issues/216/cant-find-any-story-format-files-when

After looking into the problem more it turns out that you only need to delete the file ~/.config/Twine/Local Storage/file__0.localstorage in order to get Twine working.
    It seems the problem due to the case of the folder that Twine stores its story formats has changed between versions. In 2.0.8 it was called storyformats/ while in 2.0.10 it's called storyFormats/
    Which explains why only Linux users have had a problem, since it's the only system that defaults to case sensitive file operations.
  • @prof_yaffle:
    If you want to still be able to use both 2.0.8 and 2.0.10 then you can create a storyformats/ symbolic link to the new storyFormats/ directory.
  • The problem is the storyformats/storyFormats folders only exist while Twine is running. So it's not possible to create a permanent symbolic link for compatibility.
  • Then does that not mean that the storyFormats folders itself is a dynamically created symbolic link?
    And if so you could examine it to see the real location of your story project files and change that location to be a symbolic link to your choosing:

eg. a dynamically created symbolic link that references a manually created symbolic link that references the real folder.
  • edited November 2015
    No, all the data that Twine uses, including the default story formats, is stored in the nw.pak file. This gets extracted to a folder in /tmp/ which is deleted as soon as Twine closes.
  • You would think I would learn to read what is actually written one day, for some stupid reason I thought you were talking about the story project file location even though I know the difference between the story project and story format file locations! lol