Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Online version] - Upload my story to a different PC

edited August 2016 in Help! with 2.0
Hi,

this is probably a dumb question, but I looked for an answer (here and in the Wiki) and couldn't find one.

I'm trying to publish to file one story I am working on at the office and have it uploaded to my laptop back at home.
I know that the info needed in order to 'see' the story are stored within the browser (Chrome in this case) in which it is created (i.e. my work PC) and, indeed, when I try to upload the story to my laptop it tells me there's no story in the file (I have a Mac and am trying to upload the story in Chrome).

Is there something I'm doing wrong/missing?

I guess there must be a way to go on working on the story from a different computer.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Have you tried publishing to file?
  • Have you tried publishing to file?

That's what I did. I published to file and tried uploading the file to Chrome home. I get an error message that says there's no story in the file. I tried also exporting and reimporting the whole archive and that didn't do either.
  • The Collaborate With Someone Else section of the Twine 2 Guide explains how to move your Story Project(s) from one computer to another.

warning: If you are using the install-able release of the Twine 2 application then DO NOT save either the Story HTML file or the Archive file you create within the folder the the Twine 2 application used internal to store your Story Projects.
    The name of the folder not to use can be found using the Twine > Show Library menu items.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    The Collaborate With Someone Else section of the Twine 2 Guide explains how to move your Story Project(s) from one computer to another.

warning: If you are using the install-able release of the Twine 2 application then DO NOT save either the Story HTML file or the Archive file you create within the folder the the Twine 2 application used internal to store your Story Projects.
    The name of the folder not to use can be found using the Twine > Show Library menu items.

I am using the online version of Twine 2.

I followed the instructions presented in the "Collaborate with someone else" section of the guide.

As I said:

i. I published to file my story and;
    ii. tried to upload the file to Twine online, in Chrome on my other laptop.

The application returns the error message mentioned above (i.e. no story could be found in the file).
  • If you open the Story HTML file you created using the Publish to File option within a web-browser on your first machine does your story run ? Does it also run when you open it in a web-browser on your other laptop?
  • It runs nicely on my first machine. Displays a white blank page on the other.
  • OK guys, we found a solution. Apparently the email application my company uses had cut part of the .html file for no reason whatsoever.

If the file is sent from, say, Skype or simply zipped before being sent it works alright.

I am sorry I bothered you all and thanks for your support.

Cheers!
  • So your Story HTML file works on one machine but if you view the same file copied onto a second machine it does not.

How are you copying the Story HTML file from one machine to another?
    What operating system (brand, version, edition, 32/64bit) is on the second machine?
    What web-browser (brand, version, 32/64bit) are you using on the second machine?

Would you be willing to upload the Story HTML file from your second machine to a file hosting site of your choice and supply me a link so I can download it locally to look at its contents?
  • Thanks @greyelf

As I said above the thing was sorted out. Apparently our company's Outlook Web Access cuts the bottom part of the .html file, hence the discrepancy.

Thanks everyone.

I don't know how to shut the thread down though.
  • If this is a Question then you need to mark one of the comments that is not yours as an Answer.