Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isn't my stylesheet class working?

My story has a character that is the computer in a spaceship. I would like to style the text when she speaks differently than the other text. Specifically, I want it to be pale pink and monospace. I tried using a stylesheet passage with a class for her speech and a span with that class in a regular story passage, but the story shows the span tags instead of styling the text.

Here are some pictures:
[quote]stylesheet
undefined
[quote]span tags and text
undefined
[quote]rendered html in Chrome
undefined
If it matters, I am using the tincansmobile story format from here. Where am I going wrong?

Comments

• Does it make any difference if you use a different story format?
  • loopernow wrote:

Does it make any difference if you use a different story format?

What a sensible question! It turns out that it does make a difference! It renders perfectly in Sugarcane, so there must be something weird in the Tin Cans format. I'll have to work around it or use the Responsive format, I guess.
  • Glad to help. :) I know it's new to Twine 1.4.0 that you can mix html freely with Twine formatting...I'm sure someone around here can remember the Twine tag used to enclose html formatting in the earlier version of Twine (or it could be in an earlier version of the Manual, if that's available somewhere). I'm wondering if that earlier tag would still work in 1.4.0 and if it would cause tincansmobile to work correctly?

I'm just guessing. And if it does work, maybe some other workaround would be better anyway. :)
  • Have you tried adding <html></html> tags?
  • Sharpe is on the right track.  Tin Cans was originally based on the pre-1.4 vanilla headers, and may not have been updated since.  If so, it wouldn't include a raw HTML tag formatter, meaning that you'd have to use the older HTML formatter which requires that you wrap all HTML within the <html></html> syntax, otherwise it won't be treated as HTML and you'll get the behavior you're seeing.
  • Adding <html></html> fixed it. Thanks guys!