Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using external IDE?

Is there any way to work with twine with each passage as a separate plain text file and compile it from the command line, like any other sane programming environment?

Comments

• Some options you might find useful are tweego, if you're interested in using Twine 1, or entwine. Both are programs that will compile Twine stories from a command line.

As a new member, I'd like you to consider the tone of your posts more carefully in the future. The way your question is phrased implies that you think Twine isn't a sane programming environment.
  • I'm not sure I'd describe having each passage in a separate file as "sane," but I've essentially done than with my Scrivener template. Scrivener already has a notion of a collection of text files containing single scenes, the proliferation of which it conveniently hides from you. I publish them from Scrivener into a single file which I then process with Twee2, but a truly determined person could set up a command-line pipeline for splitting and reuniting the files for use in an actual IDE.

Scrivener has a free demo for NaNoWriMo (until December 7th), and I'm planning on getting my template up on my website in a few days. If anyone wants to try it out before then, feel free to message me.
  • mcdmcd
    edited October 2016
    Note that Twee2 does more of what you want than I originally realized, as mentioned in the thread split off from this one: Scrivener and Twee2.