Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elegy of the Deadscape - Chapter 1 (CYOA-style game)

Hello everyone, I would like to share the game Elegy of the Deadscape. It's a tribute of sorts to the Choose your own adventure books that I so loved to read on my teen years. All criticism is welcome, although this is my first game, there is no need to be gentle, I'm always eager to find points of improvement, specially now that I'm finishing the second chapter.

The introductory description follows:

Elegy of the Deadscape
Chapter I - The Fortress in the Wasteland

The world of Deadscape was a world of warriors and mages; peasants and kings; humans, orcs and elves.

Until the aftermath came.

The most powerful known kingdoms were ruled by powerful wizards, but their control of the arcane arts was only rivaled by their lust for power and hatred for each other.

When the enemities scaled to open war, the arcane powers they unleashed killed the world, ending many lives and leaving the land barren.

Most survivors try to scavange a living any way they can, but as the food left runs out, they know they are only postponing death.

A few, called fools by most, set out and roam the ruins of the world, seeking some glimmer of hope.

You are one of the seekers.

Philome.la link: Play Elegy of the Deadscape, chapter 1

Comments

• Your game was fantastic with great writing.
    One thing however, if you enter the old man's room after he tells you not too and then decide to abruptly leave, the following transition becomes jarring because the next passage has nothing written about the old man unless it directly involves him.
    Say you go to the Basement from his Room.
    You could use this code I learned from Sharpe to modulate your passages.

In the old man's Room add

<<set $alert = "true">>

then in the Basement add

<<if $alert eq "true">>

(The old man watches as you leave his room + plus everything else you had in this passage prior)

<<else>>

(If the old man is not alerted then it's just the standard passage)

<<endif>>

And then you finish off with endif so the computer knows your standard passage has come to an end. Lastly, you can swap out the 'alert' in the code to be anything you want so you can have multiple true false functions in your story. Good luck, and thank you for writing.
    Looking forward to Chapter 2.
  • Nice! I'm not really a fan of the 'death at every turn' CYOAs, but this is certainly a well-executed example of the genre.