Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I select which Harlowe format when multiple versions are installed?

Using Twine 2.0.11 locally on a Windows 10 system.

I wanted to update the default Harlowe from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3 and also add 2.0.0 to test and maybe convert my adventures.

I finally figured out how to download and add the formats to Twine (see instructions below) but here's were my confusion starts. Apparently the output html from Twine in the tw-storydata tag only have the name of the format not version, like this format="Harlowe". So after downloading and adding Harlowe 1.2.3 and 2.0.0 to Twine all three Harlowe formats are tagged as default formats.

When creating a new story it defaults to Harlowe, but I cannot see what version it is using. There is no tag in Harlowe to print out its internal version number. Also, I cannot find a Harlowe version number in a published html story. And I cannot find where Twine store its formats, but on a wild guess I think it stores it on %Appdata%\Local\Twine where it puts it into a local SQLlite database. Experimenting with tags, I think it still uses the first Harlowe format it can find which is the one that comes with installing Twine, Harlowe 1.2.2. Selecting to another format does not help since, whatever Harlow format you select, all three will be selected at the same time.

So, can I run Twine with multiple Harlow formats? If not how do I get rid of the default Harlow 1.2.2 since there is no delete trashcan icon associated with that format?

It would be much simpler if the tw-storydata tag also included formatversion attribute and that Twine also new about version number of formats to not confuse which format is used.

Side note on how to add new Harlowe formats to Twine
1) Go to the Harlowe development site on BitBucket
https://bitbucket.org/_L_/harlowe

2) Go to the do Download page (click on the cloud icon from the toolbar to the left)

3) To get the latest version (2.0.0 as when this was posted), click the "Download repository" link and save the ZIP file locally on your computer. To get another version (like 1.2.3), click the Branches tab and select the zip link from whatever version you would like to use.

4) Unzip the file you downloaded to somewhere on your computer. After unzipping make sure you can find the file format.js

5) Open Twine and click the Formats menu choice to the right. Select the Add a New Format tab.

6) Fill in your full local path to the format.js file (Example: C:\temp\harlowe\format.js) and click the +ADD button.