Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine 2 windows application story location

Hi.

Forgive me for my newbieness if the questions I am asking are inappropriate for this forum or if this has been discussed before.

So I just started using twine (with Harlowe currently) on a windows platform due to the fact that I don't always have internet access. I found a thread on this forum that I can't find again that states that the save location for stories is hard coded to the user's my documents folder on the C: drive - not even the registry linked one - the actual C drive :-(

So would it be possible for the developers to simply add some extra functionality to the OS specific versions to allow customizing the save location? Better still just allow the creation of 'standalone' version that saves to a sub directory in the current folder that can then be run off a portable drive. Such a feature would, IMHO, be extremely useful to many users. Having to manually export from machine 1, delete the old version on machine 2 and then import again is laborious, as is copying the story file directly over to a new folder on another machine. Having the whole thing portable would mean I could work on a game directly off a pen drive regardless of which computer I'm sat at.

In addition to this I also find the in-game 'save game' portability a bit limiting - yes it makes sense to save to the browser's own data but some people even have their browsers set to delete all content on exit. I haven't looked into how its doing this yet but I'm guessing its using cookies to store game data. I would like to implement a more 'permanent' save feature that would allow the user to 'download' a save game file generated from the game variables served up by the JavaScript, but before I reinvent the wheel has anybody already done this before?