Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta version of Harlowe 1.1

124»

Comments

• Thanks @L for all your work with this.

The white blur and blurrier is now visible in Chrome, but for some reason, in my already created story, it does not display properly when it is in the starting passage. I could be some other conflict in my CSS, as when I start a new story, it works fine.

• Another thing you may want to look into is that the styling of the text changes depending on whether you put the html element brackets outside the hook or inside the hook.

For example:
    <h1>(text-style:"blurrier")[This is blurrier text]</h1>

(text-style:"blurrier")[<h1>This is blurrier text</h1>] 

These two yield different results. The first one appears to work correctly. The second one appears to have SOME blur but not to the same degree.

(Please view attached HTML for comparison)

Having said that, this is probably a low priority issue, in comparison with the space-removed problem related to whitespacing.

• OK, with some pain-inducing effort, I did what I hope will fix that collapsed whitespace problem. New release candidate - as usual, I hope nothing else will come up.

The inconsistency with combining (text-style:"blurrier") with <h1> is mostly a peculiarity with CSS that I can't really fix (in this version at least).
  • L wrote: »
    OK, with some pain-inducing effort, I did what I hope will fix that collapsed whitespace problem.- as usual, I hope nothing else will come up.

Hi @L. Thank you so much for all your work with this. I can appreciate the challenge you face each time a new issue comes up.

I tested the new candidate, and most of the whitespace issues are resolved. There is still an issue, however, when a passage link is placed within a [hook] and it is removing the space PRIOR to the passage link.

I downloaded the same test file I uploaded before and ran it through the new candidate. I'll attach the new version to this post. (you will note that all of the white space issues except for the one mentioned were fixed). Notice the space missing prior to the words "Next Passage".

I've tested in Chrome and Firefox with the same result.
    The inconsistency with combining (text-style:"blurrier") with <h1> is mostly a peculiarity with CSS that I can't really fix (in this version at least).

Fair enough, and this styling bug really does seem a low priority issue anyway, especially considering that there is a way of getting it to work properly by putting the <html element brackets> outside the full hook.
  • edited June 2015
    L wrote: »
    A rough pick of notable new features (described in detail here):

* Twine 1's StoryInit feature is now available by giving a passage (or multiple passages) the tag 'startup', and a variant which works only in Debug Mode can be used with 'debug-startup'.<br />
    * More importantly, though, is that you can declare a "header" or "footer" for every passage by using the tag 'header' or 'footer'. These can contain displayed text (like a special HUD, etc.) but more likely it will be used to hold prerender/postrender code, such as (replace:) macros that can selectively alter the text of every passage in the story.

Hi @L. I was going through the thread to understand Harlowe 1.1. better and came across this in your first post.

I have tried using the "header" tag in a passage, and it works in terms of including that passage in every passage in the game. However, it seems to render it AFTER the game passage, meaning that the new passage is rendered first, and then the header-tagged-passage. Is this how it's supposed to work?

Is there a way of having it render BEFORE the next passage is rendered?
  • New release candidate. This fixes that whitespace-before-link bug, and also fixes bugs related to using (replace:) inside the collapsing syntax. To be precise, it means that
    {[]<1|}(replace:?1)[One
    two]

will preserve the line break between "One" and "two", even though the destination hook is inside the collapsing span. This is consistent with 1.0.1.

I can't verify the bug that headers are being rendered before the passage content. If you play it in debug view, it should look something like this:
    oaOLX4X.png
  • Am pretty busy right now so haven't had a chance to test out the new release, and I am about to travel (literally in half an hour!), so hopefully someone else can give it a run through.

The thing with header tag seems to have been my own fault, as I saw that it WAS actually rendering before the passage, and the problem was that I was using a (live:) macro that affected when stuff was actually being processed in the header. So sorry about not double checking before mentioning the issue.

• I'm loving the syntax highlighting. I'm currently learning Twine, and it's making my life much easier. Thank you!
  • Does this beta version have a save function for harlowe?
  • Hi @L, it seems to be working fine! Good work!
  • It seems that the saved games are not per-story. I made some save files in one of my stories, and then when i used (savedgames:) in a different story, it gave me all the saves from the first story.

When I tried loading one of them from the second story, the message below popped up.
    JavaScript Alert

Sorry to interrupt, but this page's code has got itself in a mess.
    TypeError: Cannot read property 'get' of undefined at Object.f [as showPassage], <anonymous>:62:187869)
    (This is probably due to a bug in the Twine game engine.)
  • It seems that the saved games are not per-story. I made some save files in one of my stories, and then when i used (savedgames:) in a different story, it gave me all the saves from the first story.

Hopefully this will be different in future versions, as you are right that some people will play several stories.
  • Within the "New Features" mentioned for Harlowe 1.1., there is the following:
    Added (css:) as a 'low-level' solution for styling elements, which is essentially the same as a raw HTML <span style='...'> tag, but can be combined with other changer commands. I feel obliged to offer this to provide some CSS-familiar users some access to higher functionality, even though it's not intended for general use in place of (text-style:), (position-x:) or whatever.

I can't seem to work out how to use the (position-x:) macro. It throws up an error saying that that macro does not exist. The (css:) macro works fine.
  • edited June 2015
    I believe the (position-x:) macro was removed based on the comment on this update to the Harlowe repository.
    Removed (position-x:) and (position-y:) for now, pending further work.
    Hopefully this will be different in future versions, as you are right that some people will play several stories.
    If we are lucky this bug may even get fixed in version 1.1.0 of Harlowe, as it has not been released yet.
  • thanks @greyelf. I guess it wasn't removed yet from the list of new features.
  • I'm playing with the save and load macro, let's see what I get...

Hope to see an easy way - maybe a macro - to create text boxes and insert data directly in vars, so users can interact with custom names, character's profiles, etc.
  • l3m35 wrote: »
    ... insert data directly in vars
    Do you mean access to read and change $variables from Javascript code?

• Let's say something like this:

(textfield: "Name")[Enter char name]
    (textfield: "Age")[Enter char age]

..;to render textfields, then a button Submit, to fill vars like:

(set:$charName = ?charname)
    (set:$charEyes = ?chareyes)

I'm trying that http://twinery.org/forum/discussion/comment/9248/ but multiple fields aren't working (for me, but I'm a mess with Javascript...)
  • Uh-oh. Might have found something.
    :: Start

"Start"

(set: $foo to 0)

(live: 2s)[(goto: "Next")]

:: Next

"Next"

Foo: $foo

(set: $foo += 1)

Release 1.0.1 prints a value of '0' for the naked variable. Beta 1.1 will first print '0', then print '1', indicating it has loaded the passage twice.

If you put a (stop:) after the (goto:) it will "fix" the problem.

See attached (Live 1-0 and Live 1-1). First one is release Harlowe. Second one is your latest upload.

Might want to consider giving the beta versions numbers next time. ;-)
  • Another curiosity.

Using the following code to play audio in the Harlowe 1.0.1 release loops the audio correctly:
    <audio autoplay loop>
      <source src="pling.mp3" type="audio/mp3">
    </audio>

In the latest beta, it plays all the way through once, then starts to loop, playing a tiny bit of the start, then fails in in Chrome, Firefox, and IE.

Tested in Chrome with an .mp3 but added Base64 to the attachment and retested in Chrome, Firefox, and IE, all latest versions. Windows 7 x64. Same behavior.

Again, first file (1-0) is in the release and the next (1-1) is the beta. Same exact code.
  • Due to various circumstances, these bugs haven't been fixed for the release of v1.1.0. However, they will be fixed in v1.1.1, which I shall finalise in about a few days.