Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leon's Stylesheets

LL
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Click here for live previews.

I've been making a couple of stylesheets on and off. Most of them are archived at Glorious Trainwrecks, but now that this forum's here, I might as well crosspost my most recent efforts:

undefined
"Sodden Tome"
This requires Twine 1.4. Designed for slimy, gloomy or spooky stories. "Wow! It really looks like it fell in a swamp!"

html {
background-image: linear-gradient(to bottom, hsl(70, 39%, 30%), black);
background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, hsl(70, 39%, 30%), black);
background-attachment: fixed;
background-color: black;
}
body {
background-color: transparent;
margin: 2% 0 0 0;
font-size: 100%;
}

#passages {
background-image: linear-gradient(-135deg, beige, #c6c66c);
background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient(-45deg, beige, #c6c66c);
background-color: beige;
width: 40%;
margin:auto;
margin-bottom: 5%;
padding: 2em;
box-shadow: inset 0 0 2em olive;
}

.passage {
margin: 0px;
padding: 2em;

/* Text formatting */
color: black;
font-family: "Times New Roman", serif;
text-align:justify;
}
.passage br + .char {
margin-left: 1.6em;
}

.char.e + .char, .char.t + .char, .char.a + .char, .char.o + .char, .char.i + .char, .char.n + .char, .char:nth-child(8n) {
text-shadow: 0em 3px 0.3em hsla(82, 39%, 20%, .25);
color: rgba(0,0,0,0.7);
}

/* No sidebar */
#sidebar {
display:none;
}

hr {
border: 0;
height: 2px !important;
background-color: black;
box-shadow: 0 0 1em darkolivegreen;
}

/* Links */
.passage a .char {
color: hsla(82, 39%, 20%, .75);
text-shadow: 0em 3px 0.2em hsla(82, 39%, 20%, .25), 0em 6px 0.4em hsla(82, 39%, 20%, .25);
}
.passage a:visited .char {
color: hsla(37, 39%, 20%, .75);
text-shadow: 0em 3px 0.2em hsla(37, 39%, 20%, .25), 0em 6px 0.4em hsla(37, 39%, 20%, .25);
}
.passage a:hover {
text-decoration: none;
}
.passage a:hover .char {
color: darkgreen !important;
}
.passage a:visited:hover .char {
color: darkred !important;
}
undefined
"Muet"
This requires Twine 1.4. The background image is not included - but if you add an embedded image with the name "background", it will be used by this stylesheet! Also, this has no sidebar, only the StoryTitle, StorySubtitle and StoryAuthor.
@import url(http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Alegreya+Sans:300|Oxygen:400,700&subset=latin,latin-ext);

html {
background: [img[background]] fixed, dodgerblue;
background-size: cover;
min-height: 100%;
height:100%;
}
body {
background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.4);
background-attachment: fixed;
margin: 0;
padding: 0% 15% 0% 5em;
font-family: Oxygen, "Century Gothic", sans-serif !important;
font-weight: 300;
}
#sidebar, #passages {
padding-top: 4em;
padding-bottom: 0em;
}
#passages {
margin-left: 60%;
width: 50%;
padding-bottom: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
border: 0;
}
#passages::before {
border-left: 3px solid rgba(255,255,255,0.2);
position:fixed;
height:100%;
left: 50%;
top:0;
content:'';
}
.passage {
margin: 0px;
color: white;
opacity: 0.7;
text-align:justify;
margin:auto;
padding: 0px 0px 5em 0px;
}
.passage a {
color: #cde8ff;
opacity: 1;
}
.passage a:hover {
color: white;
text-decoration: none;
border-bottom: 1px white solid;
}
.passage a:visited {
color: #d7ffcd;
}
#sidebar {
left: 1em;
width: 50%;
font-family: "Alegreya Sans","Century Gothic",sans-serif !important;
}
#sidebar li {
color: white !important;
text-align: center;
opacity: 0.3;
}
#sidebar #storyTitle {
font-size: 4em;
line-height:0.8em;
}
#sidebar > :not(.storyElement) {
display:none;
}
/* Shrink the page when viewed on devices with a low screen width */
@media screen and (max-width: 1600px) {
.passage, #sidebar { font-size: 90%; }
}
@media screen and (max-width: 1200px) {
#sidebar { font-size: 70%;}
.passage { font-size: 85%;}
}
@media screen and (max-width: 960px) {
#passages::before { display:none; }
#sidebar { position: relative; width: 100%;}
#passages { margin: 0; padding: 5%; width: 90%; border: 0; }
}

Comments

• Very nice! Muet is beautiful. I've been having fun hacking your sheets around and learning CSS as I go along, I really appreciate the effort you've put into them. By the way, is there any reason some have gone from the site? Is it due to 1.4 compatability? The "The Earth's Story 1.0" section mentions ZXSpecTwine, which is absent.

Thanks L!
  • Awesome, thanks!  I too starting learning CSS so I could tweak your stylesheets.  And here I was just trying to have fun, yet I ended up coming out of it with a useful skill!  So thanks.  :)
  • Thanks for that. I too want to grasp CSS more too and tinkering with templates is a good way to learn.

Will you be cross posting some of your Custom Macros as well to the forum for other new comers? have everything under one roof so to speak makes it a little easier. Those macros are invaluable! Keep up the great work. :)

• mostly wrote:

Very nice! Muet is beautiful. I've been having fun hacking your sheets around and learning CSS as I go along, I really appreciate the effort you've put into them. By the way, is there any reason some have gone from the site? Is it due to 1.4 compatability? The "The Earth's Story 1.0" section mentions ZXSpecTwine, which is absent.

Thanks L!
    I've gotten in the habit of retiring ones that I feel have become a little overused, or I don't feel completely satisfied with anymore.
  • Fair enough. It's a shame about ZXSpecTwine, though. I remember seeing it a while back and thinking "Cool! But what the heck's a stylesheet?" and now it'd be perfect for a section in my game. I'm not asking you to send me the code or anything (though if you want to do that that would be totally awesome), but if you or anyone else who remembers what it looks like (can't find it anywhere on the net now) could give me a tip on how to recreate it myself that'd be great. I'm guessing it's the ridge property with some kind of colour magic, or is it a bunch of borders around each other? Thanks.
  • These are great stylesheets.

With the "Muet" one, is it possible to change the background as the story goes on? How would I do that if it is?

Thanks.
  • I made a script that allows you change the background within the story. There is a full write-up about it on my blog: http://www.ohiofi.com/blog/twine-scripts-and-macros/

Here's the gist...

1. Add this as a New Script
    //changes the background image
    macros['setback'] =
    {
    handler: function (place, macroName, params, parser)
    {
    document.body.style.backgroundImage = url(+params[0]+);
    }
    };
    2. Use <<setback>> to change the background. Like this...
    <<setback http://www.ohiofi.com/img/oh.png>>
    3. You might wanna include some CSS like this...
    body {
    background-repeat:no-repeat;
    background-size:100%;
    }
    Here is a demo... http://www.ohiofi.com/setbackmacrotest.html
  • This code example is wonderful, about changing backgrounds!

I hope I'm not derailing the thread to ask how I would change backgrounds among local images. I've tried this:
    //changes the background image
    macros['setback'] =
    {
    handler: function (place, macroName, params, parser)
    {
    document.body.style.backgroundImage = "[img[" + params[0] + "]]";
    }
    };
    But it doesn't work. Any suggestions? (I'm calling <<setback img2>> at the start of a new page, and I have an image called img2.) Am I missing an easier way to do this in twine's core? I've only just successfully messed with static CSS today.
  • RE
    Dazakiwi38 wrote:
    With the "Muet" one, is it possible to change the background as the story goes on? How would I do that if it is?

Mine is a less technical solution (I don't do macros), but it may suit your needs.

I've been playing with Muet also (love it, Leon).
    I made two stylesheets, one tagged person1 and one tagged person2. I left both the same as the original, except one line, linking it to images called person1 and person2.
    This let me tag individual passages with either of these tags, making a conversation happen quite organically (just about every second passage has person 2, so the story flips between these two images). I'll post the results some time if it helps explain the concept.
    (more: http://twinery.org/wiki/stylesheet?s[]=visited&s[]=pages#tagged_stylesheets)