Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Game: Nuclear Fire at Castle Treachery

Here is a game I recently finished: Nuclear Fire at Castle Treachery

I was trying to use Twine to make something more game-like, rather than a branching narrative. Let me know what you think and please report any bugs or typos. Below is my synopsis from the Interactive Fiction Database. You can check out the listing here.

---

In the Millennium of Strife, the Sun has burnt out and Earth is frozen. To save your tribe, you must enter Castle Treachery, find the Nuclear Fire, and rekindle the Sun.

Nuclear Fire at Castle Treachery is a game of adventure and exploration. Search the maze-like chambers of Castle Treachery for weapons, magic items, and treasures. Defeat the monstrous Manticore Amoeba and steal the Nuclear Fire.

Features:
*2 selectable characters.
*An inventory system.
*Randomized elements.
*A secret ending.

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Hey Willy,

I haven't had time to play it in its entirety, just went through the first few passages to see what the exploration/maze part was like. (I'll play it all this weekend :-) )

Dunno if it's on purpose or not, but I got very confused as to where exactly I am, and I felt like your game would benefit greatly from having a minimap, much like Tundra did. It's fairly easy to do with CSS and tagged passages.

Just my 2 cents, I'll have a more in-depth look at the game this weekend.

Looks very interesting!
  • GroZaV wrote: »
    Dunno if it's on purpose or not, but I got very confused as to where exactly I am, and I felt like your game would benefit greatly from having a minimap, much like Tundra did. It's fairly easy to do with CSS and tagged passages.

Yeah. I think I can figure out how to implement a mini-map. However, the largest challenge of the game comes from navigating the castle. Let me ruminate about this, and maybe I can come up with a compromise.

Currently there is an item you could find which provides you XY coordinates for each room you enter. This makes navigating much easier.

• Dude. This is awesome! I'm really enjoying it so far.
  • Just got a "good" ending for the alchemist guy. The writing in this story is excellent. I did not find the navigation challenging. I actually wish there had been more of a challenge, and that it was not over so soon! Great game.
  • edited September 2015
    Thank you for taking the time to play this. I'm glad that you did not think it was too challenging. Perhaps I might consider making another game with a similar structure in the future. I started as a way for me to demonstrate variables for a class I will be teaching. Then it kind of expanded into its own thing.

I'm glad you explored enough to get the "good" ending. I assume you found the magic crown, right?

Have you made any games with Twine that I can check out?