Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hero.ROM - An Episodic Comedy RPG

Hero.ROM is a comedy-focused light-RPG set in a...let's call it "cyberpunk" setting, but blending elements of science fiction and fantasy into a bizarre, hilarious mess. I've been working on it for the past few months as an episodic series, with every episode coming out with all previous episodes included. The idea is that eventually it will all be one massive start-to-finish game.

As the last descendant of a legendary hero, you must collect fragments of godly power in order to save the world from a terrifying ancient evil. Unfortunately, it's been a few thousand years since any of that meant anything to anyone. It's the gritty future now, and you're not exactly the "legendary hero" type, but you're going to fulfill your destiny whether you want to or not. Put on your fiber-optic skull shirt, grab a tube of Skull Cola and get ready for a wild ride.

The game has no graphics and the use of scripting is limited, but I do what I can to make things visually interesting and make evocative use of color and font. Gameplay-wise, Hero.ROM uses a two-stat combat system inspired by the old Fighting Fantasy series of books that's designed to be simple but highly dynamic. The rest is a mix of silly dialogue, creative puzzle-solving and even a minigame or two.

And I'm up to my second episode so far (with a third mini-episode coming soon).

Hero.ROM Episode 2: The Battle of Damsel Park (Includes Episode 1: Wrath of the Gang Queen)

Any feedback is appreciated. Looking at the other stuff posted here, I see I've only scratched the surface of the visual scripting Harlowe is capable of. Hope you enjoy it!

Comments

• I've released a new episode! This is an interlude episode to lead into Episode 3, but it contains a heavy dose of plot and a number of surprises.

Hero.ROM Episode 2.5: Then and Back Again

Included with this episode are minor tweaks and updates to Episodes 1 and 2, including all new "animated" screens during cyberspace sequences.

Hope you've all been enjoying the game so far. It's only going to get better from here! Any feedback, positive or negative, is appreciated!
  • I´m sure I found a bug ^^
    IF THIS ELEMENT IS NOT DISPLAYING CORRECTLY, YOU MAY BE USING OUTDATED HARDWARE!backIF THIS ELEMENT IS NOT DISPLAYING CORRECTLY, YOU MAY BE USING OUTDATED HARDWARE!nextIF THIS ELEMENT IS NOT DISPLAYING CORRECTLY, YOU MAY BE USING OUTDATED HARDWARE!refreshIF THIS ELEMENT IS NOT DISPLAYING CORRECTLY, YOU MAY BE USING OUTDATED HARDWARE!favoriteIF THIS ELEMENT IS NOT DISPLAYING CORRECTLY, YOU MAY BE USING OUTDATED HARDWARE!
    That´s the text. And the links arent clickable.
    (Latest FireFox)
    I really like the login screen.
  • edited October 2015
    I'm playing it now, and it's extremely well done. I'm stuck on guitar girl though... any hints? Nvm, now stuck with a gogo pass :|
    SomeGuy wrote: »
    I´m sure I found a bug ^^
    IF THIS ELEMENT IS NOT DISPLAYING CORRECTLY, YOU MAY BE USING OUTDATED HARDWARE!backIF THIS ELEMENT IS NOT DISPLAYING CORRECTLY, YOU MAY BE USING OUTDATED HARDWARE!nextIF THIS ELEMENT IS NOT DISPLAYING CORRECTLY, YOU MAY BE USING OUTDATED HARDWARE!refreshIF THIS ELEMENT IS NOT DISPLAYING CORRECTLY, YOU MAY BE USING OUTDATED HARDWARE!favoriteIF THIS ELEMENT IS NOT DISPLAYING CORRECTLY, YOU MAY BE USING OUTDATED HARDWARE!
    (Latest FireFox)

That's on purpose. Did you read the story?
  • edited October 2015
    Also, I believe I may have found a bug with the CommandDrone sequence where the skeletons are fighting the drones on the stage, I've been through all the options and there's no way to move the CommandDrone from the lower right of the stage? I feel like I'm missing something but I'm not sure... Edit Nvm, I guess pop1 is just confusing.

• SomeGuy wrote: »
    I´m sure I found a bug ^^
    (Latest FireFox)

That's actually just a joke. You may have the latest browser, but your player character sure doesn't.