Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would explicit content violate Twine's TOS?

Not sure the right place to ask, so here I am.

Sorry if this is a weird question. I'm new to Twine and not sure how restrictive it is about allowable content. I want to write an interactive short story that features explicit language and sexual content. I'd like to know in advance if this would violate any sort of TOS or cause my story to be deleted/blocked. Just want to be on the safe side before I pour a whole lot of effort into learning Twine's programming language.

Comments

• I can't answer if it would break Twine's TOS (if it has one) because I am not one of the developers or a lawyer.

I can say that other people have used Twine to build Adult Interactive Fiction containing both explicit language and sexual content, the stories are just not listed/linked to on this forum.
    I don't know if that is due to this forum TOS or because the other sites are better suited to the adult content.
  • Oh! Now that I've searched for Adult Interactive Fiction, I can see this is a non-issue. Feel silly for not thinking to do this first.
  • I'm guessing you are wondering about the online version of Twine. Everything you create there is stored on your computer, not on twinery.org, so there are no terms that are applicable, really.
  • klembot wrote: »
    I'm guessing you are wondering about the online version of Twine. Everything you create there is stored on your computer, not on twinery.org, so there are no terms that are applicable, really.

More worried about what happens after a game is published, but thanks for the info.
  • After the game is published, Twine has, literally, nothing to do with it, so that's really not an issue. You're thinking of the story formats, and, AFAIK, none of them have any kind of EULA, so it's pretty much do as you like with regards to the type of content you're publishing.
  • After the game is published, Twine has, literally, nothing to do with it, so that's really not an issue. You're thinking of the story formats, and, AFAIK, none of them have any kind of EULA, so it's pretty much do as you like with regards to the type of content you're publishing.

That's great. I'm being cautious because there's been a crackdown on erotica across publishing and blogging platforms, so I wanted to make sure this wouldn't lead to problems down the line.
  • ... I'm being cautious because there's been a crackdown on erotica across publishing and blogging platforms..
    If the crackdown you are referring to is similar to the recent Blogger Content Policy restriction on some types of adult content then I believe that is more about the legal state of some of the different subject matters covered (eg. rape, incest, bestiality, necrophilia, etc..) rather than about adult content in general.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    If the crackdown you are referring to is similar to the recent Blogger Content Policy restriction on some types of adult content then I believe that is more about the legal state of some of the different subject matters covered (eg. rape, incest, bestiality, necrophilia, etc..) rather than about adult content in general.

Referring more to the erotica panic of 2013 and the wholesale deletion that followed.

"Fortunately events like this are rare. But if you're going to self-publish, it's absolutely vital that you read and understand the Terms and Conditions of any platform you decide to use (a step that authors often gloss over), so you'll know right from the start the degree to which you're subject to your platform's power to make you disappear."
  • Both online and desktop variants of Twine store information on your computer, technically speaking.
    As for adult content, it's similar to Word or any other creative software, you can use it to create any kind of content and software author can't be responsible for that.

Only problem can be the place where you put up your story, publishing platform.
  • drHogart wrote: »
    Both online and desktop variants of Twine store information on your computer, technically speaking.
    As for adult content, it's similar to Word or any other creative software, you can use it to create any kind of content and software author can't be responsible for that.

Only problem can be the place where you put up your story, publishing platform.

I never thought of it that way. Makes really good sense. Thank you!