Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you color-code TWINE 2.0 Passages inside the Editor?

I was just wondering how to make it so I could tag certain passages in the Editor so it'd show as different colors in the editor - I've been adding entries to it - and it's getting a bit unwieldy. So I would like to be able to color code paths of sorts, if that makes any sense.

To be clear, I do not want to change the CSS for the passages when we play the CYOA. Just the Editor's 'Passage/Nodes'.

Comments

• This isn't possible yet, but it is on the horizon to add.
  • Thank you for the answer. I had been curious if there had been a macro or a specific Tag to color-code the TWINE Passages inside the Editor. Here's hoping it gets added someday :) It'd definitely help sort the paths you create in the Editor.
  • Is this referring to the boxes in the editing phase or just the text? Because it would be beyond helpful to be able to highlight certain boxes with different colors so that at a single glance I can easily identify threads of my work as well as which ones still need to be finished.
  • The boxes themselves, and apparently it's not 'available' just yet. Maybe in a future version of TWINE. If they don't create TWINE 3 with a whole new format/engine ;)
    Jenee wrote: »
    Is this referring to the boxes in the editing phase or just the text? Because it would be beyond helpful to be able to highlight certain boxes with different colors so that at a single glance I can easily identify threads of my work as well as which ones still need to be finished.

• Gryphbear wrote: »
    TMaybe in a future version of TWINE. If they don't create TWINE 3 with a whole new format/engine ;)
    Your comment is closer to the truth than you may know, the Twine developers are most of the way through re-building the existing Twine 2 application using a different visual framework/engine than the current released version of Twine 2 does. lol
  • Wat. But I JUST started playing with Twine 2, they're going to make Twine 3 now? :cold_sweat:
  • greyelf wrote: »
    Gryphbear wrote: »
    TMaybe in a future version of TWINE. If they don't create TWINE 3 with a whole new format/engine ;)
    Your comment is closer to the truth than you may know, the Twine developers are most of the way through re-building the existing Twine 2 application using a different visual framework/engine than the current released version of Twine 2 does. lol

Okay... If the Twine developers are doing this, I'd like them to make sure there's backward compatibility. So we don't have to resort to tools or bend over backwards to make sure it fits. I currently have a giant novel in Twine 2/Sugarcube 2. So, I'm hoping I can port it to the new version when it comes out. I don't fancy the recreation by 'hand' as it were.
  • Wat. But I JUST started playing with Twine 2, they're going to make Twine 3 now? :cold_sweat:
    I did not say that they are making Twine 3 just that they are working on the code that handles the visual interface of the application.
    Gryphbear wrote: »
    I'm hoping I can port it to the new version when it comes out.
    No porting should be needed as it will be the same application with a very similar looking interface, that interface will just be drawn using a different framework.

• To chime in too -- I'm hoping to get a 2.1 beta released in the next few weeks. There are a lot of under-the-hood changes, but as greyelf points out, it won't require you to learn anything new to create with Twine, and your stories will carry over from the 2.0 series.

The main thing that I hope 2.1 will bring is a better experience editing large stories -- it is considerably faster than the 2.0 series with large (> 500 passages) stories in my testing, at least. We've also touched up the visual appearance of the app some.
  • klembot wrote: »
    To chime in too -- I'm hoping to get a 2.1 beta released in the next few weeks. There are a lot of under-the-hood changes, but as greyelf points out, it won't require you to learn anything new to create with Twine, and your stories will carry over from the 2.0 series.

The main thing that I hope 2.1 will bring is a better experience editing large stories -- it is considerably faster than the 2.0 series with large (> 500 passages) stories in my testing, at least. We've also touched up the visual appearance of the app some.

I'm very happy to hear that. Twine 2.0 is a bit sluggish at times for me, since I have around 360+ Passages in it at the moment, and that's the basic framework so far. haha.

Thanks for letting us know.
  • You know what I'd love? A folder-type system that I can stuff non-story Passages, like headers and footers and startups and inventories and sidebars and other systems... It's really distracting to have all of them together.

It could also be used to separate Passages into Chapters and things like that. Really, it's all about Passage organization. But I'll take custom colorization for the Passages.
  • You know what I'd love? A folder-type system that I can stuff non-story Passages, like headers and footers and startups and inventories and sidebars and other systems... It's really distracting to have all of them together.

It could also be used to separate Passages into Chapters and things like that. Really, it's all about Passage organization.
    If you are using one of the SugarCube story formats then all that is possible using Twine 1 and the StoryIncludes special passage.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    If you are using one of the SugarCube story formats then all that is possible using Twine 1 and the StoryIncludes special passage.

I keep forgetting that Twine 2 isn't a progressive update to Twine 1. The latter is still a perfectly usable application, isn't it? It's not outdated or obsolete or anything.
  • edited August 2016
    It's not obsolete. I still prefer it. The actual Twine application doesn't do anything but provide how the story formats are interpreted.
  • Hello. I see this was originally posted in August last year. I'd love to have the tags/colour code feature for passages in the editor. Can anyone enlighten us to as its likely emergence, please?

Thanks