Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you do with your twines?

I have tried putting them on tumblr- No Success
I have tried putting them on a Squarespace website- No Success
I have tried publishing as an Ebook- No Success
The Twine website claims you can publish them anywhere but the only place that I have found them to work is the philomia website.
Has anyone ever been able to publish somewhere else?
If the Twine program is just for creating content for twines website that is perfectly fine, but they shouldn't claim otherwise.

Comments

• any web server not anywhere so basically any free html hosting site like philomia or just make a website and host it there yourself, I know its it's irritating but that's how it is dude
  • A Twine game is basically a website, and as such, you can post a Twine game anywhere you would host a regular website. There are plenty of free webhosts out there that would let you do that. I've used Neocities in the past.

Quick instructions for publishing using Neocities:
    -Make an account
    -Upload the .html file containing your story to your dashboard / homepage
    -Your Twine game can now be played by going to the link
    http://yourname.neocities.org/nameofyourstory.html

For example, if my account name was Wraithling and my story file was called "adventure.html" it'd be
    http://wraithling.neocities.org/adventure.html
  • By making a website I'm guessing you mean coding the site myself, and hosting it, rather than the drag and drop squarespace set up. Far beyond my skills. I suppose I can just upload them to philomia and link them on my square space site. Kind of a bummer, oh well.

Thanks for your time, have a good day.
  • VR78 wrote: »
    By making a website I'm guessing you mean coding the site myself, and hosting it, rather than the drag and drop squarespace set up. Far beyond my skills. I suppose I can just upload them to philomia and link them on my square space site. Kind of a bummer, oh well.

Thanks for your time, have a good day.

Your welcome, we just have to deal with it sadly :neutral:
  • If you say so, but keep in mind that the process I've just described is very nearly a drag-and-drop itself. I mean, you don't need to know how to code anything. You're just making an account, hitting "upload" and then copying a url.
  • Wraithling wrote: »
    If you say so, but keep in mind that the process I've just described is very nearly a drag-and-drop itself. I mean, you don't need to know how to code anything. You're just making an account, hitting "upload" and then copying a url.
    the op is gonna use philomia and then copy the url it is the same process as what you are saying just another site

• Generally you will need to use an HTML iframe element when trying to add a web-application (like a Twine Story HTML file) to a blogging web-site (like tumblr), this is due to the fact that most blogging sites will try to modify/convert any HTML you add to one of their pages/posts.

Brief statement about Embedding iframes in Tumblr posts.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    Generally you will need to use an HTML iframe element when trying to add a web-application (like a Twine Story HTML file) to a blogging web-site (like tumblr), this is due to the fact that most blogging sites will try to modify/convert any HTML you add to one of their pages/posts.

it just seems easier to simply copy a url from a free html hosting website than embedding it plus who knows the compatability issues thay may arrise, but the idea amuses me you may be able to play the game in tumblr do you know if I could make it so in another site like disqus that would be a cool new feature to implement to my game
  • Khaloodxp wrote: »
    it just seems easier to simply copy a url from a free html hosting website.
    It is, but the OP stated they failed to embed one on tumblr and I was explaining that it can be done. *smile*

• greyelf wrote: »
    Generally you will need to use an HTML iframe element when trying to add a web-application (like a Twine Story HTML file) to a blogging web-site (like tumblr), this is due to the fact that most blogging sites will try to modify/convert any HTML you add to one of their pages/posts.

how do you iframe the story to Tumblr? I am quite curious
  • Khaloodxp wrote: »
    read it and figure it out Embedding iframes in Tumblr posts.

i tried to follow it, but nothing worked. that's why i asked
  • reedman wrote: »
    Khaloodxp wrote: »
    read it and figure it out Embedding iframes in Tumblr posts.

you change the text editor to html and then paste this(<p><iframe src = "the url of your html"></iframe></p>)
  • reedman wrote: »
    note: I don't have a Tumblr account so the following information will be vague.

1. Upload your Story HTML file to a web-server of your choice, you may be able to host a static HTML file on Tumblr but I could not find information on how to do that.

Remember the URL to page on the web-server because you will need it later, with will look something like the following but with different domain and file names.
    http://the.domain-name.com/the-story.html

2. Create the post on Tumblr and change the post editor to 'plain HTML' via the dashboard options listed in the linked article.

3. Add an HTML iframe element to the post, assigning the URL from step 1 as the value of the iframe element's src property. It will look something like the following but with different domain and file names.

4. View the Tumblr post and you should see your Twine Story.

5. You may need to assign a width and/or height to the iframe element, you can do this either by adding a width and/or height property to the element or via CSS.
  • I have followed everyone's instructions, and i can confirm that uploading to Tumblr is 100% NOT POSSIBLE
  • You don't upload your HTML to Tumblr. You upload to a web host someplace and post an <iframe> element on Tumblr which references it. As seen on TV.
  • edited September 2016
    You don't upload your HTML to Tumblr. You upload to a web host someplace and post an <iframe> element on Tumblr which references it. As seen on TV.

You are now followed. :smile:

I think that the confusion comes from the fact that OP has to find an hosting service first, since Tumblr doesn't allow to upload or host files other than the media files that one can embed in a post.

So:

1) Find a free hosting service that lets you upload HTML files. I personally use Amazon S3, but there is plenty of those.

2) Export your story as HTML and upload it to the free hosting service you found.

3) Find the link to the story and follow @greyelf instructions to embed on Tumblr.

4) Or, depending on which free hosting service you decided to use, simply link to the story directly (this is not the best solution if you use AmazonS3, but works really well if you use GitHub pages, for example).

If you go with point 4) and call your story index.html it will load automatically as your homepage.