Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine 2.1.0 beta 1

Are you feeling adventurous? Then you can help us test the upcoming release of Twine 2.1.0!

Twine 2.1.0 first of all looks different, and I hope you'll think the changes are for the better.3ZKGtEJ.png
uywGHEV.png
vd00DgM.png
0VFdrgK.png
It's also considerably faster. You should notice faster startup times, especially when editing large stories, and importing from a file in particular should be a billion times faster.

In order to make Twine faster, the underlying data model has been rewritten. It will open stories created in 2.0.x without any problems, but if you are going to try this beta, please keep careful backups of your stories. We've done limited testing thus far, but there may be problems lurking that could cause data loss.

Not scared off? Great. You can download the beta from the Bitbucket repository. Please report bugs there; if you have general feedback, feel free to post it here.

Comments

• Of course there's something obvious I missed in testing -- it looks like there are problems with stories that use the Harlowe format. So if you use that, hold off for now. We'll get it fixed by the next beta.
  • klembot wrote: »
    It's also considerably faster. You should notice faster startup times, especially when editing large stories, and importing from a file in particular should be a billion times faster.

Sounds like poetry to my ears, thank you @klembot!
    Are you feeling adventurous? Then you can help us test the upcoming release of Twine 2.1.0!

Twine 2.1.0 first of all looks different, and I hope you'll think the changes are for the better.3ZKGtEJ.png
    uywGHEV.png
    vd00DgM.png
    0VFdrgK.png

In order to make Twine faster, the underlying data model has been rewritten. It will open stories created in 2.0.x without any problems, but if you are going to try this beta, please keep careful backups of your stories. We've done limited testing thus far, but there may be problems lurking that could cause data loss.

Not scared off? Great. You can download the beta from the Bitbucket repository. Please report bugs there; if you have general feedback, feel free to post it here.

How d'you actually use it?
  • Deadshot wrote: »
    Follow the link to download it, then choose the appropriate file for your operating system (e.g. if you're on Windows, you probably want twine_2.1.0b1_win64.exe).
  • Love the new look, the passage layout, the much faster startup, and the nighttime theme are great too!

I haven't seen any problems in the Harlowe stories I've tested so far, and am eager to start using it as my main version of Twine when its out of beta.
  • looking forward to playing around with it. Will there be syntax highlighting for the different story formats in 2.1? As of now I don't see any.
  • Will there be syntax highlighting for the different story formats in 2.1?
    AFAIK: The syntax highlighting in the Story Javascript and Stylesheet areas come with the embedded Text Editor being used by the Twine 2 application, but currently for syntax highlighting to work in the Passage Editor each Story Format needs to implement their own copy of the relevant code.
  • Greyelf's correct. I don't know of any plans to add highlighting for formats that don't have it already.
  • Ok, yeah I just noticed that there's highlighting for Harlowe in the current version of Twine, but not in the 2.1 beta. I'm guessing this was changed?
  • Won't startup, getting this error.
  • edited September 2016
    Okay, I think I found one bug so far. I'm using Sugarcube (The latest I believe that was just released., and Twine 2.1.0) I had a node set to 'Start' on the Twine Map - and I was going to switch it to another Passage, but it just doesn't want to. It just won't switch the "start" to the new Passage. If that makes sense.

Edit: I had to retroinstall to 2.0.11 again, to reassign the "Start from this Point" feature to where I normally start the game from. Then I reinstalled 2.1.0b.
  • edited September 2016
    For some reason, my Story StyleSheets were blank after converting from the latest stable into the beta. And now even if I pasted anything into it, it won't stick. It keeps being wiped clean. Weird.

I don't have anything important in my Story JS area, so I can't confirm anything for that.

I added an entry to the bitbucket project.
  • The "Dark" Version of Twine 2.1.0b also is missing text in passage title -- or more accurately, they're NOT visible when you're editing the passage. (in Sugarcube 2.8?)
    Deadshot wrote: »
    Follow the link to download it, then choose the appropriate file for your operating system (e.g. if you're on Windows, you probably want twine_2.1.0b1_win64.exe).

But I mean how do you open it? Could I try dragging the downloaded file into google?
    But I mean how do you open it? Could I try dragging the downloaded file into google?
    The file you download is an installer, you run it and it will install the application on your local hard-drive.

eg. If your using Windows then you would Left Mouse Button Double-Click on the file you downloaded to run the installer.
  • Art_Sempai wrote: »
    Won't startup, getting this error.
    Could you try removing files from your Stories folder to see which one is triggering this error? When you remove a file and Twine starts correctly, that'll be the one that is causing the bug. Once you do, please open a bug with it.

• Gryphbear wrote: »
    Okay, I think I found one bug so far. I'm using Sugarcube (The latest I believe that was just released., and Twine 2.1.0) I had a node set to 'Start' on the Twine Map - and I was going to switch it to another Passage, but it just doesn't want to. It just won't switch the "start" to the new Passage. If that makes sense.

I think I have this bug fixed -- please give it a try once beta 2 is out.
    The "Dark" Version of Twine 2.1.0b also is missing text in passage title -- or more accurately, they're NOT visible when you're editing the passage. (in Sugarcube 2.8?)

Could you open a bug for that?

Gryphbear wrote: »
    The "Dark" Version of Twine 2.1.0b also is missing text in passage title -- or more accurately, they're NOT visible when you're editing the passage. (in Sugarcube 2.8?)

Could you open a bug for that?

I did just now - not sure if you needed the Assignee to be set to you or what the 'priority' should be, so I set it to minor, since TWINE works mostly :)

Art_Sempai wrote: »
    Won't startup, getting this error.
    Could you try removing files from your Stories folder to see which one is triggering this error? When you remove a file and Twine starts correctly, that'll be the one that is causing the bug. Once you do, please open a bug with it.

THANKS! It's these simple things that drive you to madness lol.
  • I don't seem to be able to delete stories - it was imported from a published HTML file if that helps - every time I start up the Twine IDE, it reappears!

Also when I try to check what story formats I have, the "Loading..." icon never goes away! I'd added Sugarcube 2 for Twine 2 from a locally downloaded copy, but it doesn't appear in the list of formats.
  • I don't seem to be able to delete stories..
    Which operating system (brand, version, edition, 32/64bit) are you using?

• edited September 2016
    I don't seem to be able to delete stories - it was imported from a published HTML file if that helps - every time I start up the Twine IDE, it reappears!

Also when I try to check what story formats I have, the "Loading..." icon never goes away! I'd added Sugarcube 2 for Twine 2 from a locally downloaded copy, but it doesn't appear in the list of formats.

I'm having a similar problem - Story formats. I decided to dl and install the 2.9.0 Sugarcube format, but it won't let me delete the 2.8.0 one, and insists that there's already a folder named Sugarcube-2/offline/etc etc. This example: The story format at C:\Users\^^^^\Desktop\Writings\****\sugarcube-2.9.0-for-twine-2-local\SugarCube-2 could not be added (storyFormat was not called).
    I'm having a similar problem - Story formats.

• edited September 2016
    greyelf wrote: »
    I'm having a similar problem - Story formats.

Sorry. Win 8.1, 64 Bit, It doesn't say which edition, just Windows 8.1.
  • edited September 2016
    greyelf wrote: »
    I don't seem to be able to delete stories..

I'm on Mac OS X 10.11.6.
  • edited September 2016
    I'm having a similar problem - Story formats. I decided to dl and install the 2.9.0 Sugarcube format, but it won't let me delete the 2.8.0 one, and insists that there's already a folder named Sugarcube-2/offline/etc etc. This example: The story format at C:\Users\^^^^\Desktop\Writings\****\sugarcube-2.9.0-for-twine-2-local\SugarCube-2 could not be added (storyFormat was not called).
    This won't fix the bug, however, as something of a workaround, know that you don't actually need to uninstall an existing version of SugarCube 2. To install a newer version of SugarCube 2 you may simply copy the newer files over the ones from your existing install of SugarCube 2—naturally, you should only do this while Twine 2 is not open.

That's how I install new development versions.
  • edited September 2016
    This won't fix the bug, however, as something of a workaround, know that you don't actually need to uninstall an existing version of SugarCube 2. To install a newer version of SugarCube 2 you may simply copy the newer files over the ones from your existing install of SugarCube 2—naturally, you should only do this while Twine 2 is not open.

That's how I install new development versions.

Doh. I didn't realize you could do that. Thanks ;) haha. My brain's definitely not here sometimes. And it worked. :)
  • greyelf wrote: »
    Deadshot wrote: »
    The file you download is an installer, you run it and it will install the application on your local hard-drive.

eg. If your using Windows then you would Left Mouse Button Double-Click on the file you downloaded to run the installer.

I use Ubuntu. I don't know which one to install, or how to run it. Every time I open it it's just a folder with all the stuff.
    I use Ubuntu. I don't know which one to install, or how to run it. Every time I open it it's just a folder with all the stuff.
    Unzip the Linux64 version in your personnel folder. Change the properties of the twine file to make it executable. Double-click on it to launch Twine.