Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine 2.1.0 beta 2

It's out! I think we may see one more beta before a final release. This beta fixes several issues found by people who had been testing the previous beta, and you can get it from the Bitbucket repository.

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Ah! My issue is fixed. At first I wasn't sure if it were, SINCE you could still move a node past the left boundary, but the code you put in makes it 'pop' back into the editor. So it works :) Thank you.
  • Hey Chris,

So this version is looking really great so far but I have do one request. It probably sounds minor and fiddly but I feel it's actually suuuper important for organizing nodes in a story.

Right now when you snap to grid in the beta, you can only snap to multiples of 20% of the way in between the major grid lines. So 20%, 40%, 60%, and 80%. But in the old version of Twine 2 it's just 50%. So in the old version you could only snap to 50% and now in this new one you can't snap to 50% at all.

I have a 1200+ node WIP in development right now and literally ALL of my layouts are going to be completely broken by this change. I would really, really appreciate if you changed this before this version goes out of beta. I don't care how many steps there are between major grid lines, provided that 50% is a valid point. So it can be every 10% or every 25% or whatever. Just please make it so that I can still snap to 50%. I know it might not sound like a huge deal but I really don't think I'm going to be able to use the new version otherwise.
  • That's a good point, and I think you had raised it before but it had fallen off my radar. I'll try a couple alternatives and see what's most workable.
  • Greetings,

You're doing a great job! I really like the new looks and feels (seems to work much smoother).

There're some strange things I'm noticing, though that might be intentional.

First: when you select several passages and drag them, sometimes one of them would change its relative position to the others.

Second: dragging a passage with snap to grid being turned on would result in strange movement in different show modes. That would not match the mouse movement in "show only passage titles" and "show only structure"

Also visual indication of "snap to grid" being turned on and off is bugged for me and requires getting to home and back to see the difference.

All these tested on two different Linux x64 computers.

Could I also ask about one QoL change? Please, add "Hide Menubar" option to the home screen. Maybe it's already possible, but I can't find it.
  • So far so good. I was able to transfer my game over to the beta with little issues. The dark theme is welcome addition. Much easier on the eyes.

I noticed that the syntax highlighting for CSS and Javascript is very difficult to read if you're using the dark theme. The blue and red don't have a high enough contrast from the dark background.

Any chance this could be fixed or adjusted?
  • For the obvious bugs (e.g. passages jumping, snap to grid not getting checked), would you mind opening a bug for each one? It makes it easier for me to track.

I'm not sure how I feel about a "hide menubar" option. Does it really use up that much space?
  • Shame on me, should've filled reports from the start and not post it all here. Done now.

About the "hide menubar": That does not use that much space, but it matters for fullscreen night mode, 'cause it takes the system menubar color, which is usually not dark. So that line spoils the looks a bit, though that might be me who's too picky.