Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harlowe 2 help. Trying to auto scroll to bottom of passage and remove navigation bar

I've some passages that open to lots of text, I'd like it so it scrolls to the bottom of the screen to see the passage without having to use the scroll bar. It's not a huge thing but something that would allow the flow of the story to keep. I tried a few things for CSS but none worked. I'm at a loss.

I am also trying to remove the side navigation so they can't go back.
I tried
#sidebar {display: none;
}
and
tw-sidebar:
{display: none;}
but neither work. Any suggestions what I can do to fix it?

Comments

• Please use the C button in the comment field's tool-bar to wrap your code examples with code markup, it makes them easier to find and read.

Your second example was close except it has an unwanted colon at the end of the CSS selector. Try
    tw-sidebar {
    	display: none;
    }

When you say you want the new page to auto scroll to the bottom, do you mean:

1. The last line of text of the passage's content is visible even if that content is longer than the page's current height, which could result in the first line(s) of text not being visible.

2. Once the page is shown you want it to automatically begin scrolling upwards if the passage content is longer than the page's current height, and you want that scrolling to continue until the last line of text is displayed.
  • Thanks for the help on the sidebar, I'll try that. For the other I think it's option 2. So the last line of the passage is shown at the bottom of the screen. So when the player clicks on an "click" passage near the end of the page, to reveal more text, it will scroll up to reveal the new "click"ed passage instead of them required to scroll to see it.

I'm not sure if I'm making sense or if it sounds logical in my own head. lol I appreciate the help, none-the-less
  • I think I'd like to see that feature as well. I have lengthy passages lol (The 2nd option redprincess is talking about)
  • It sounds like you want a variation of the Endless-Page layout that is used by the Jonah story format (comes with Twine 1) except you want the new passages to be added to the bottom of the page (scrolling the previous passages upwards) instead of the default which is to add the new passage directly below the previous one.

There are two issues with this:

1. As far as I know there is no Twine 2 story format that implements Endless-Page.
    2. As far as I know there is no reliable method to keep the bottom of a HTML page always in focus, all the CSS and/or Javascript implements I looked at had limitations.

note: I have limited knowledge of both CSS and Javascript so maybe one of the more experienced coders might have a better answer.