Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I change the subtitle mid game?

I'm working on my Twine game for a class and I have 2 chapters. I would like to change the subtitle to chapter two on the sidebar once the player reaches it.

Is there any way to do this or is the only way to make them separate and link from one to the other?

Comments

• When asking a question you need to state the name and version of the story format you are using, as answers can be different for each one.

Because the story formats that come pre-installed (aka the 'vanillia' story formats) with the Twine 1 application don't have their own version numbers I suggest stating the version number of the application itself instead.

note: The following solution should work in any Twine 1 compatible story format.

One way to do what you want, is to use a variable named $subtitle to store the sub-title to be displayed.

1. Initialise the variable in your StoryInit special passage:
    <<set $subtitle to "Chapter 1">>

2. Display the contents of the variable in your StorySubtitle special passage:
    StorySubtitle

3. In your 'start of next chapter' passage(s) do something like the following:
    <<set $subtitle to "Chapter 2">>

• Got it to work, thank you.
  • I'm on 1.4.2 Sugarcane in case anyone finds this in the future.