Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with text placement/music.

Hello! I'm currently working with SugarCube 1.0.34, and I'm currently attempting to create a Homestuck-esque walkaround in the style of Openbound. I'm aware that it's very hard to create the actual walk-around bit with the characters moving from one room to the next, etc, but the part of it that I'm more interested is the part where the characters talk to each other. I've created/found most of the assets that I need to put this together (backgrounds, the grey text boxes, character sprites, etc) but I'm having trouble inserting the (image) text boxes into the Twine, finding a way to insert text over the top of said images in the style of Openbound, as well as getting the character sprites to hover to the side of them.

Also, is there a way to make music play continuously during the length of the entire story?

Comments

• EDIT: While this was being moderated, I solved most of the problems I had in this post on my own!!

The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to make the music loop continuously in the background through every page of the Twine. Or even how to get the music playing at all, really. Help would be much appreciated!
  • First. I'd really recommend using SugarCube v2—though that may require some changes to your existing code. Beyond that, the current version of SugarCube v1 is v1.0.35—released in April 2016—so you're out of date there anyway.

Are you using SugarCube's audio macros and, if so, how are you playing the BGM? Is your BGM a single track or multiple?
  • First. I'd really recommend using SugarCube v2—though that may require some changes to your existing code. Beyond that, the current version of SugarCube v1 is v1.0.35—released in April 2016—so you're out of date there anyway.

Yeah, I've put a heck of a lot of work into this thing already and I don't feel like modifying what I've got already/learning a whole new system to program, and I'm completely unable to download new stuff onto my computer anyway, so that's out. :P sorry for the trouble
    Are you using SugarCube's audio macros and, if so, how are you playing the BGM? Is your BGM a single track or multiple?

I've tried using the <<audio>> macro that's mentioned here, with no success. I have the mp3 file (just a single audio file) saved online, and I tried linking to it in a variety of different ways, without success. It's never started playing
  • How did you try to use it and what's the URL of the file?
  • Firstly, I set up the audio cache in a passage I labelled 'StoryInit' like so

<<cacheaudio "mk_theme" "https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5QfFtHaVNfSODFVWWpOMmJtUlk/view?usp=sharing">>;

Then, I placed <<audio "mk_theme" play>> in the opening passage, but it keeps coming up with 'Error: <<audio>>: no track by ID: mk_theme'. Should I be putting the cacheaudio code somewhere different?
  • edited March 2017
    You have two issues:
    1. The <<cacheaudio>> macro in SugarCube v1 requires a file extension. This could be addressed via a simple, if inelegant, workaround using a query or hash string if not for the following issue.
    2. The <<cacheaudio>> macro in SugarCube v1.0.34—maybe all versions prior to v1.0.35—contains a bug whereby it cannot properly process URLs containing query or hash strings. This was fixed as part of v1.0.35.
    Not that you're interested in v2, however, neither of these are issues in it.

Your options here are somewhat limited by the second issue.
  • I'm using a new computer for the purpose of this, and I was able to upgrade to version 1.0.35, so that's the second issue sorted, lol.
    How would I go about using a query/hash string?

(sorry for being such a pain)
  • edited March 2017
    First. I misremembered the details of the workaround, you're not going to be able to use it here—welcome to the perils of using old software. That said, since I misremembered and gave you hope that you could use v1's audio macros with Google Drive, I'm going to throw you a bone. You have a PM.

The URL you're using opens Google Drive's web view UI for the file. It is not a valid download URL. You want something like the following:
    https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B5QfFtHaVNfSODFVWWpOMmJtUlk

PS: The Google Drive Direct Link Generator site can help you turn sharing URLs into download URLs, if that's not something you're comfortable doing yourself.
  • This worked perfectly, thank you very much! This has been incredibly helpful.

*sends internet cookies*
  • This worked perfectly, thank you very much! This has been incredibly helpful.

*sends internet cookies*