Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SugarCube releases

Comments

• Jud_Casper wrote: »
    ...my css takes over and it changes to the second.
    It takes time to download the font (if its not cached) you are using which could be causing the visual effect you are seeing.
  • But wouldn't it be cached if I'm launching from my desktop?

It's a thought, though. I may do away with the imported font and see if it helps any.

Thanks.
  • edited December 2016
    SG2? This isn't StarGate.

That's not the loading screen, nor does it even look like the first passage of either of your posted projects. Is it something new? I could maybe see the font taking a bit to switch, since you're likely loading it over the network—though, that can be hidden—but there shouldn't be any reason for the rest of the styling to be delayed like that. Are you doing forced refreshes—which forcibly clear the cache—or something to that effect? Though that still wouldn't explain the delay on the rest of the styling. Hmm. Is this posted anywhere?

I just checked out the versions of the two projects you posted on itch.io with my Android tablet and my iPhone and I'm not seeing that behavior. You do see a bit of style flash on the loading screen, but I've covered that already.

Tangentially, Cryonix starts up with a missing passage error. Also, if you're going to use a white style like that, then I'd suggest downloading Bleached from SugarCube's website and starting with that—it's a comprehensive white style/theme—because your current style misses a lot that you really should be styling—case in point, the error is virtually impossible to read with your style as-is, being dark text on a dark background.
  • edited December 2016
    SG2 - no idea where that came from.

No, it's not the first passage, but I see the delay from whatever passage I start the game at so I didn't think it would be relevant.

The passage error is a weird one. I have noticed it, but it doesn't throw the error when I check the game on my desktop. What's more, when I run it on my iPhone 4s, the passage error is thrown for Aftermath, not Cryonix. Also, for me, the error is red text on black background and perfectly legible, but I suspect that's because we're talking about different games. But how can a game throw a passage error for one person and not another?

You don't mention which generation of iPhone you used, but I suppose these difference could be down to that if you're using later than 4s (which I guess you are) - but that doesn't explain why you get the passage error on Cryonix when I get it on Aftermath.

Not using any forced refreshes (wouldn't know how).

As for styling, I'm not going to bother changing things now (that game is history) but I'll remember next time I choose to use a white theme.
    This particular instance, from one of your posts (#20131) in this thread. This isn't the first time you've done that either. To be clear, I was somewhat amused.

Jud_Casper wrote: »
    No, it's not the first passage, but I see the delay from whatever passage I start the game at so I didn't think it would be relevant.
    What do you mean, "whatever passage I start the game at"? From the screenshot you don't seem to be using Twine 2's Test story starting here feature.

The passage error is a weird one. I have noticed it, but it doesn't throw the error when I check the game on my desktop. What's more, when I run it on my iPhone 4s, the passage error is thrown for Aftermath, not Cryonix. […] But how can a game throw a passage error for one person and not another?
    I suspect something odd is going on here, probably related somehow to itch.io, which would be annoying to track down. I have also been unable to reproduce the error since first seeing it.

You don't mention which generation of iPhone you used, […]
    I also didn't mention the specific brand, and version, of Android tablet I used. I omitted both because, in this specific instance, neither should be germane to the discussion. We're talking about a passage not being found, a problem which should be browser core agnostic. That said, I am using an iPhone 5s.
  • Well if you haven't been able to reproduce the error, then at least that's something.

As for the Test story starting here - For whatever reason, I set the final passage as the start passage during one of my many post-publication edits, and failed to notice this when I loaded it up for screenshot purposes.
  • Announcing SugarCube v2.12.1:

Downloads & documentation for all Twine versions: http://www.motoslave.net/sugarcube/2/

Changelog highlights:
    • Fixed an issue with audio the macros in WebKit-/Blink-based browsers (e.g. Safari, Chrome, Opera) where initiating playback of a track, in any way, immediately after seeking to a new time position would cause the seek to be ignored.
  • Announcing SugarCube v2.12.2:

Downloads & documentation for all Twine versions: http://www.motoslave.net/sugarcube/2/

Changelog highlights:
    • Fixed an output element snafu in the <<timed>> and <<repeat>> macros which was triggered/exposed when transitions were requested.
    • Other internal fixes and improvements.
  • Announcing SugarCube v2.13.0:

Changelog highlights:
    • Added the Config.navigation.override property which allows navigation destinations to be overridden.
    • Added the State.temporary property as the public API for accessing temporary variables within JavaScript.
    • Added polyfills for the <String>.padStart() and <String>.padEnd() methods.
    • Other internal fixes and improvements.
    Additionally, for those who've asked for a way to donate, there are now options on SugarCube's website.
  • Announcing SugarCube v2.14.0:

Changelog highlights:
    • Fixed an issue when creating multiple <<radiobutton>> groups within the same turn/moment whereby the group IDs would only work properly for the first group created.
    • Added the <<capture>> macro which allows capturing story and temporary variables, creating localized versions of their values.
    NOTE: There are now separate downloads for Twine versions 2.1 and 2.0.
  • Announcing SugarCube v2.15.0:

Changelog highlights:
    • Added validation during startup to ensure that special passage tags have not been used erroneously.
    • Added the LoadScreen API.
    • Added the <<include>> macro, which is a drop in replacement for <<display>>, and deprecated the <<display>> macro.
    • Updated support for the <<capture>> macro so that setter links work properly within it.
    • Other improvements.
  • edited March 2017
    Hi, I use Twine 2.1.1

I got a continuous loading screen when I try to add the new format.

I try to uninstall Twine, then reinstall it and Add a new format again, same.

Thanks for the work you do.
  • edited March 2017
    @Alianna: same here!

TheMadExile or was it greyelf? Anyways.. one of them told me there's a bug in Twine 2.0 that prevents us from updating the story format. This was back when SC2 came out and TheMadExile even pointed out that 2.14 could not be installed on Twine 2.0.

Maybe something similar is going on in Twine 2.1?

• I think the 2.1.1 fix it.

But maybe only for Sugarcube 2.14.

wait and see.

P.S. : I have to change all my
    <<include>>

TT (which doesn't work when I first replace the files of the 2.14.)
  • There's a bug in Twine 2.1.0 which more or less breaks adding story formats.

There's a different bug in Twine 2.1.1 which completely breaks adding story formats.

Hopefully, the next release of Twine 2.1 will finally work as intended in regards to adding story formats.

Alianna wrote: »
    P.S. : I have to change all my
    <<include>>

TT (which doesn't work when I first replace the files of the 2.14.)
    You do not need to immediately change <<display>> to <<include>>. While the former has been deprecated, meaning you shouldn't use it, it has not yet been removed—it will continue to exist for the lifetime of SugarCube v2.
  • Thx for the answer TheMadExile,
  • Hi,

Is there an E.T.A. for the next twine release ?

Have a good day
  • edited March 2017
    is it just me or anyone have same problem when upgrading to sugarcube 2.15 for twine 2.1.1 ? it's just keep loading when i press the +add button in add new format

why it's always problem when upgrading sugarcube 2 for twine 2.1.x ??
  • Hi,

All have been explain by TheMadExile.
    There's a bug in Twine 2.1.0 which more or less breaks adding story formats.

There's a different bug in Twine 2.1.1 which completely breaks adding story formats.

Hopefully, the next release of Twine 2.1 will finally work as intended in regards to adding story formats.

SuGarcube, obviously. :)

• Alianna wrote: »
    Is there an E.T.A. for the next twine release ?
    Not that I've been made aware of, no. That said, my hope is that it won't be too much longer, as the bug in Twine 2.1.1 prevents the installation of any story formats—in that way, it's worse than the bug that was in 2.1.0.
  • Hmm. I'm going to have to publish a new release to address an issue in v2.15.0. Should be sometime later today, tomorrow at the outside.
  • Announcing SugarCube v2.16.0:

Changelog highlights:
  • wow, these updates are coming one after the other. Great work @TheMadExile.
  • edited March 2017
    Where IS the directory located in Windows 10 for copying over the 2.13 format I have on my TWINE 2.1.1? The 'loading' is still hanging as I try to add it via "Add a Format" method. I could find it before, but I can't seem to find it now. I'm using the local offline version with 64 bit Win10 OS. I know (now) that there's a problem adding formats to the current version, but I was going to overwrite the 2.13 version I had by replacing it in that folder, but I am not sure how to even find it now.
  • Yesterday I wanted to upload a screenshot of a list of story formats Twine created whe I tried to install SC2.14. it added almost an infinte number.
  • edited March 2017
    Gryphbear wrote: »
    Where IS the directory located in Windows 10 for copying over the 2.13 format I have on my TWINE 2.1.1? The 'loading' is still hanging as I try to add it via "Add a Format" method. I could find it before, but I can't seem to find it now. I'm using the local offline version with 64 bit Win10 OS. I know (now) that there's a problem adding formats to the current version, but I was going to overwrite the 2.13 version I had by replacing it in that folder, but I am not sure how to even find it now.
    Is that from a previous install? I ask because Twine 2.1.1 comes bundled with v2.14.0.

Regardless. It depends on what you're talking about. I'm going to assume that you're using the NW.js/executable edition of Twine 2.1.1.

If you're talking about replacing the SugarCube release which comes bundled with Twine 2.1.1, then there is no such directory. The story formats are merged into the application bundle and do not exist as separate files.

If you're talking about replacing a SugarCube release which you manually installed via a previous version of Twine 2, then assuming Twine 2.1.1 hasn't deleted its internal reference to it, the file will be wherever it was when you installed it. When you manually install a story format into Twine 2, it does not make a local copy of the file but references the existing file—in other words, when you install a story format you're simply telling Twine 2 where it is, you're not "installing" it in the traditional sense.
  • Oh hey, the <<Display>> macro is depreciated. Was there a problem with it?

I'll have to remember to use <<Include>> from now on.
  • DairynGM wrote: »
    Oh hey, the <<Display>> macro is depreciated. Was there a problem with it?
    Mainly? The name, really. Far too often I and others have had to explain that <<display>> doesn't actually trigger any of the navigation tasks—e.g. postdisplay. I assume that the reason for the disconnect is mainly the fault of its name.

Also, while deprecated it won't be going anywhere for the lifetime of SugarCube v2, so there's no rush.
  • edited March 2017
    So, this is what happens when you try to install SC2.15 on Twine 2.1.1
    There's an infinite loop that keeps adding the same format and when you restart Twine 2.1.1 you get something like this:
    http://imgur.com/a/S13Gt

I guess you could try and install it by waiting a bit and then restarting Twine, but those copies will stay there forever it seems.