Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alcyone: The Last City is a sci-fi interactive fiction game inspired by Fallen London

edited April 2017 in Workshop
Hey everyone, I'm really excited to share the Kickstarter campaign for the interactive fiction title I've been working on titled Alcyone: The Last City. It's based on Twine and SugarCube 2 which I have bolted a bunch of custom javascript on top of to handle game logic and so on. I've got to extend a huge thanks to the community here and especially TheMadExile for being tirelessly patient with all of my questions.

The game was inspired by other titles like Fallen London and Killing Time at Lightspeed, and as part of the Kickstarter I have some awesome stretch goals that involve guest writers like David Gaider (lead writer and world designer for the Dragon Age series) and Alexis Kennedy (from Failbetter, who created Fallen London & Sunless Sea) who have agreed to come on board and add to the game's writing.

As of the moment it's got two weeks left and it's almost 75% funded so I'm super excited. Check it out, download the demo, have a play and let me know what you think — I'm particularly pleased that I was able to do so much of it in Twine, but also produce something that doesn't immediately "look" like Twine. I hope it helps demonstrate the extensibility and capabilities of the engine whether you're an amateur or not.

http://alcyonegame.com/kickstarter

Comments

• It looks fantastic. Very inspirational to learn that Twine can be a stepping stone/cornerstone to something like this. (Not that I'll ever get there, but it warms my heart to see the Sugarcube UI on something so good-looking and complex :))
  • Thanks so much for that! And yeah, I am really pleased with what the engine is capable of. Particularly for something that's so user-friendly for those without a programming background.
  • This is going to be good, my only peeve would be all that gray. I am not sure if it is intentional or placeholder but it's quite unattractive. All in all though, the premise sounds great since fallen london has moved it's focus to the sunless series which are also exceptional.
  • Kkcajj wrote: »
    This is going to be good, my only peeve would be all that gray. I am not sure if it is intentional or placeholder but it's quite unattractive.

The background you mean? Yeah the benefit of doing it as Kickstarter is that I get the chance at a wide variety of systems and opinions. I'm eyeballing how people receive various things and will tweak based on feedback.
  • mixvio wrote: »
    Kkcajj wrote: »
    This is going to be good, my only peeve would be all that gray. I am not sure if it is intentional or placeholder but it's quite unattractive.

The background you mean? Yeah the benefit of doing it as Kickstarter is that I get the chance at a wide variety of systems and opinions. I'm eyeballing how people receive various things and will tweak based on feedback.

indeed the background, and the ui, but truly that could be a matter of personal taste. I look forward to what you create, 70% there already so whatever your doing don't stop now.
  • Best of luck with this. What you've managed to achieve should be great inspiration to those here who aim to make something equally as epic (myself included).

How have you managed advertising for this and getting attention for the project?
  • As a fan of Fallen London, i can only hope you manage to get the kickstarter rolling.

Cheers,
  • Best of luck with this. What you've managed to achieve should be great inspiration to those here who aim to make something equally as epic (myself included).

How have you managed advertising for this and getting attention for the project?

Thanks for the compliment! As far as advertising goes I'm just trying to generate buzz to get the campaign funded — obviously, having big names like David Gaider & Alexis Kennedy involved in the project help out massively, but word of mouth is super useful.

Especially since a lot of games press won't cover Kickstarter campaigns anymore, community attention is really important.

To that end, if it's a game you think you'd enjoy then please spread the word. ;)
  • Magma wrote: »
    As a fan of Fallen London, i can only hope you manage to get the kickstarter rolling.

Cheers,

I feel really good about the kickstarter! According to their statistics something like 95% of projects that reach sixty percent funding are successful, and I've done three previously successful kickstarters for other things and that bears out in my experience. At the moment it's only $1200 away from the goal so I think the $5k will be raised for sure. I'm hoping a ton of the guest writer stretch goals also happen though.