Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archive-Function and Stylesheets in Harlowe

Hi,
first of all I'm very new to twine. I've read the 2.0 and Harlowe-Documentations and searched the forum, but please forgive me, if this has already come up.
I'm using twine offline with Chrome, but sometimes I just can't archive my projects. Right now for example it just doesn't seem to work and I have no idea why. I'm hopeful that it will work again, because it has happened before that it didn't work for a while and then it all of a sudden worked again. But I wanted to ask if anyone else had that problem and if there is a solution to it.

My second question is about using preexisting stylesheets. Since I'm a complete newbie I wanted to import one from here: http://www.glorioustrainwrecks.com/node/5163
When I copy the code into the stylesheet window, it works as long as I'm having SugarCube selected as story format, but not when I'm using Harlowe.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you and apologies for my subpar english.

Comments

• In regards to your second question.

Each story format defines the basic structure of the HTML within your story file, and in Twine 2.x each of these structures are different. The CSS selectors for each of those preexisting stylesheets expects the basic HTML structure to be similar to that of a built-in Twine 1.x story format, and only SugarCube (mostly) meets this expectation. SugarCubes side-bar is structured differently to the built-in ones.

So your choices are:
    1. Use the SurgarCube story format, and the preexisting stylesheet you import will mostly work as there are slight differences between it and the built-in 1.x story formats.
    2. Select one of the other two story formats (Harlowe is the default) and convert/modify the CSS selectors to suit it's internal structure.

P.S. If you state which story format and preexisting stylesheet your are planing to use then people on these forums should be able to help you with the conversion if you need it.
  • Hallo greywolf, thank you very much for your reply!
    I would love to use this stylesheet:
    body {
    margin: 5% 0 0 0;
    background-color:#000;
    }
    #passages{
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    border: 0;
    }
    .passage {
    font-family: "Times New Roman",serif;
    text-align:left;
    color:#000;
    width: 40em;
    padding: 2em;
    font-size:3em;
    background-color:#fff;
    background: -webkit-linear-gradient(left, #aaa 0%,#fff 19%);
    background: linear-gradient(to right, #aaa 0%,#fff 19%);
    }
    a.internalLink {
    color:#620;
    background-color:hsla(48, 100%, 50%, 0.5);
    }
    a.externalLink {
    color:#602;
    background-color:hsla(320, 100%, 50%, 0.5);
    }
    a.internalLink:hover {
    color:#410;
    background-color:hsla(40, 100%, 50%, 0.85);
    text-decoration: none;
    }
    a.externalLink:hover {
    color:#401;
    background-color:hsla(320, 100%, 50%, 0.85);
    }
    a.internalLink:active {
    color:#140;
    background-color:hsla(80, 100%, 50%, 0.85);
    }
    a.externalLink:active {
    color:#104;
    background-color:hsla(280, 100%, 50%, 0.85);
    }
    #sidebar {
    display:none;
    }
    If someone could help me how to convert it for Harlowe or give me some pointers that would be great!

Regarding my first question, I still can't use the archive button in the main menu (nothing happens) but publishing individual projects to files and importing them again works.
  • The Kahn Academy provides a free course on learning both HTML and CSS. It's definitely worth checking out if you intend to do any future development in Twine:

https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming/html-css
  • The following CSS is similar to the example you supplied:

body {
    margin: 5% 0 0 0;
    background-color:#000;
    }
    tw-story {
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    border: 0;
    font-size: 62.5%;
    line-height: 14px;
    width: 100%;
    }
    tw-passage {
    font-family: "Times New Roman",serif;
    text-align:left;
    color:#000;
    width: 40em;
    padding: 2em;
    font-size:3em;
    background-color:#fff;
    background: -webkit-linear-gradient(left, #aaa 0%,#fff 19%);
    background: linear-gradient(to right, #aaa 0%,#fff 19%);
    line-height: 175%;
    margin-bottom: 2em;
    }
    tw-Link {
    color:#620;
    background-color:hsla(48, 100%, 50%, 0.5);
    }
    tw-link:hover {
    color:#410;
    background-color:hsla(40, 100%, 50%, 0.85);
    }
    tw-link:active {
    color:#140;
    background-color:hsla(80, 100%, 50%, 0.85);
    }
    tw-sidebar {
    display:none;
    }
    Original CSS Selector  =>  Harlowe CSS Selector (or an approximation as some things don't map exactly, like the placement of the background colour of the page)

#passages => tw-story
    .passage => tw-passage
    a.internalLink => tw-link
  • Thank you very much, that helps a lot!!
  • Hi, there. Another new Twine user, here. Just want to double down on MalefuSraf's first question. I also seem unable to use the archive button right now. I'm running Twine in Chrome for Windows. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?
  • I suggest the both of you create/append to an issue on the Twine 2 project site's issues page about your problems with using the Archive feature.

There is an old resolved issue there about this problem.
  • It appears to be working again. Thanks, though.