Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me create this mockup? (Harlowe) *updated*

edited April 2015 in Help! with 2.0
I'm asking a lot, I know, but I've been failing spectacularly at CSS and it's time to call in the pros.

I want to create a format like this (mockup created in Photoshop attached) and I don't know where to start. I can't even change the overall background colour without screwing up. Can anybody help me assemble this abomination?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE:

How would I go about putting the back/forward buttons under the links section, if I so desired?

Comments

• The following is a very quick mockup, it uses some javascript to add an element to display your permanent Title, uses a HTML <p> tag to indicate which paragraphs you want the first line indented, wraps your links area with a HTML div so that they can be centered.

I used the following passage contents, which is based on your example image:

This is a passage. It's a pretty solid passage, I guess, with a bunch of words that say a thing.
    Just try'na fill some space here; don't mind me. Woop de diddly doo.

<p>Aaand here's an indent, just because. I doubt there's a way to make indents happen automatically, so I'm not even gonna ask. Doesn't matter, really. I can always tab manually. (Twine DOES take tabs, right?)</p>

<div class="links">
    [[This, my buddy is a link.->Passage 2]]
    [[This is a clicked link.->Passage 3]]
    </div>
    1. Add the following to your Story Javascript, it creates the element which will display your story Title, you need to replace the REPLACE THIS text with your actual story title.

$("body").append('<div class="title">REPLACE THIS</div>');
    2. The following CSS positions the Title, changes the outer edge background colour, indents paragraphs marked with the HTML <p> tag, centers the links within your link area, and assignes colours to the Title, links (normal and visited), and hides the side-bar:

body {
    background-color: tan;
    }

tw-story {
    margin-top: 0px;
    background-color: white;
    padding-left: 30px;
    padding-right: 30px;
    padding-bottom: 30px;
    }

tw-sidebar {
    display: none;
    }

/* CSS for the page title */
    body .title {
    display: flex;
    flex-direction: column;
    width: 60%;
    font-size: 2em;
    line-height: 1.5em;
    margin: 5% auto 0px;
    /* The title look */
    color: lightblue;
    background-color: white;
    padding: 30px;
    }

/* Indent the first line of a paragraph */
    tw-passage p {
    margin: 0;
    text-indent: 30px;
    }

tw-passage .links {
    text-align: center;
    }

/* The CSS selector for a normal link */
    tw-passage tw-link {
    color: lightblue;
    }
    /* The CSS selector for a clicked link */
    tw-passage tw-link.visited {
    color: grey;
    }
    I hope it gives you some help
  • Thanks a bunch, man! This totally helps. I appreciate your thoroughness. You saved me a lot of trouble, I'm glad I asked around. :)