Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost Stories

So I've upgraded from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3 and when I overwrited my Twine 2.0.2 folder, opening up index.html brings me to my stories page which says that I have 0 stories. I'm completely lost and I'm worried about all of my stories I have saved. I already have an archive file with past versions saved, but is there no way to obtain my most recent edits?

Comments

• The storage for a locally opened Twine 2 instance should be based on the path.  Simply name the new directory the same as the old one (i.e. if the old one was Twine 2.0.2, then change the name of the v2.0.3 directory to match) and you should have access to your projects again.
  • It worked for a while, but apparently clearing cookies and cache deletes it permanently. Just pulled up index.html (in Twine 2.0.2) and I still have 0 stories.
  • Neoroman wrote:

It worked for a while, but apparently clearing cookies and cache deletes it permanently.

Yes.
  • Your Twine 2 projects/stories are stored within your browser's local storage.

A number of things can cause the information within the browser's  local storage to be deleted, "Clearing Cookies" can be one of these things, this is why you should use the built-in Archive feature to regularly backup your projects/stories.

Even if you have not backed up your projects/stories you can still recover a project/story if you have used the Publish to File option to create a HTML version of it.

The built-in Import From File option can import both Archive files as well as story HTML files.
  • Is there or will there be a feature to enable auto backups using the Publish to File option?
  • There currently is no automatic backup option, and only the developers could say if they plan to try and add one.

But because of the way browser security works, any solution would not be fully automatic and would require the user to interact with the process each time the backup was saved.