After a lot of prep work, we're ready to get feedback on switching the forums software to Vanilla. There are big reasons to do this:
- A much, much better experience on phones (read: actually usable).
- A nice view of all activity, so you don't have to click into each forum to see what's up.
- It looks like it will be easier to adminster and moderate.
There are also new features that are possible with Vanilla that do not look easy in SMF, the current software, too. To name a few...
Making this transition will not lose any forum history, and accounts will be carried over, including passwords.
- More flexibility with categories, so you can easily see questions people are having with Twine 1 and SugarCube, for example.
- Topic posters will be able to mark a particular post as a working answer, la Stack Overflow.
We have a working, but read-only version of what the forums will look like once migrated at http://twinery.org/vanillatest
. This used a snapshot of the forums that was taken several months ago (that's how long this project took!), so although it is not up-to-date, it should give you a good idea as to what it will look like and how it'll act.
This seems like the right time to take stock and hold an Airing of Grievances regarding the forums, too, so let's use this thread to a) talk about issues related to the switch to Vanilla b) anything in general you wish was different about the forums. I can't promise that we'll be able to fix everything, but it's at least worth talking about.
To give us some time to talk all this over, the plan is to actually make this transition in mid-April.
I want to thank AteYourLembas
for leading the charge on this project. Without her work, this would have never gotten off the ground.