Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help a newbie with Twine/Harlowe

Ok guys, want to help a newbie?

I'm totally new to twine - and pretty much all experience I have in working with webdesign/HTML etc. is building a crappy personal webpage back in the 90:s. So please have patient:

A couple of days ago I stumbled over Twine (more specificly Twine 2.0.3, format: Harlow) when searching for a tool to build a very simple game and it seems like a resonable and nice tool.

I've read trough some threads in the forum here and I've tried to learn the basics and managed add a background image, get the font  and font size I want and...that's pretty much it!

After trying around a couple of days I'm stuck and need help with the following basic stuff:

1. I want to narrow the line spacing in my text in the passages. Can I do that by adding something in the following: (font: "Lucida Console;font-size:50%")?

2. I have no problem with adding a picture in a passage but how do I do to place the image in, for example, the far right of the page?   

I'm thankful for all the help I can get here, the more specific - the better! :)

Comments

• abinitio wrote:

1. I want to narrow the line spacing in my text in the passages. Can I do that by adding something in the following: (font: "Lucida Console;font-size:50%")?

The best way I have found in Harlowe to achieve a more precise layout, is to wrap each paragraph in a passage with tradition <p class="foo"> html tags and then style those in the style sheet. You can also set the "(font:" macro to a variable and use that in each passage, but you will have to copy-paste this to each new passage. At some point in the near future the Harlowe team are looking to introduce a Header section that will allow you to have these sort of fields populated across each passage, but for now you would be best going traditional.

abinitio wrote:

2. I have no problem with adding a picture in a passage but how do I do to place the image in, for example, the far right of the page?   

The Harlowe format is quite strict on the layout, and will continue forcing you to maintain a centered layout within the pre-determined passage area. The other story formats have more or less the same level of layout restrictions (i.e. the sidebar in Sugarcube).

You can get down and dirty and over-ride some of the layout in CSS, but you need to evaluate whether this is worth it to you?
    Twine and the story formats are there to provide a low-effort entry into making IF games, allowing you to instead focus on the content and utilize some fairly  generic but appealing layouts.

The Twine 1 formatting is more flexible, and there are themes available to drop in easily with lesser effort, such as the excellent examples compiled by Leon.

Some of these can be somewhat converted and imported into Twine2, but again, you will be getting elbow deep in CSS here.