Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twine 2 fails to start: causes?

As of this morning, my Twine 2.0 refuses to start. This is a Windows 10 machine running 64-bit, archiving in the hard drive rather than the web service. No error message appears, but I do not get a display of an open program even after a wait of 10 minutes or more.

Windows Task Manager shows 4 files are running, including one that takes up a steadily-increasing amount of memory (see screenshot).

Things I have tried include:
* Restarting the computer
* Uninstalling 64-bit and reinstalling it
* Uninstalling 64-bit and reinstalling 32-bit (Red Rackham here on the Twine forums mentioned this, so I tried it -- that's why the screenshot says I have 32-bit. I do now.)
* Switching my antivirus (AVG) to interactive mode to approve or disapprove of any functions. I get no prompt when trying to start Twine that indicates it's trying anything with an Internet connection.

Up until this point, Twine 2.0 has been working on my machine for about 3 weeks. The only thing that makes today's program different from yesterday's is that my antivirus went through an update. (That's why I switched it to interactive mode.) Windows 10 has not updated me any time recently.

Thanks.

Comments

• Why not use it in the browser version? I think it is better.
  • A few hours afterward I did indeed switch to using a browser version and uploading my file. It's an easy workaround, but I'd like to know what's wrong with the downloadable version.
  • This community isn't very active is it? You hardly get any feedback at all. :(
    I have used Twine for a day and I am not a Windows user, so I can't help you much.

But if it stopped working when your antivirus was updated there is a good chance the AV is really causing the problem. Have you tried disconnecting your PC from the network and then disabling the Antivirus *completely* to see whether Twine works after that?

I don't know what Twine uses internally to execute JavaScript and render HTML, but if you have an ad blocker installed it might be useful to disable it for this test too.

If you found out that the AV is really the problem, you should try to contact your AV vendor to get this fixed.