Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of stories are possible

Hey,

I am completely new to IF. Before I dive in all tutorials completely I wanted to ask what kind of stories are possible to make with Twine.
Is it only possible to create 'Choose you own adventure' like stories, wehere you have to choose between a couple of options. Or is it also possible to create text adventures where you

Two more questions to know if my concept will work:
- is it possible to add objects in it that must be found and later use it.
- Is it possible to end with a open option. that the reader/user has to find a code in the story and fill it in later to continue

Comments

• You seem to have missed a part of your second paragraph :smile:
  • Also, short answer, all kinds of stories are possible, Twine seems to be able to handle anything you throw at it :)
  • Rozekerk wrote: »
    - is it possible to add objects in it that must be found and later use it.

Yes, with variables. The specific code used will depend on the story format.
    - Is it possible to end with a open option. that the reader/user has to find a code in the story and fill it in later to continue

Yes, with text input or prompts. Both Harlowe and SugarCube provide ways to do this. That said, though JavaScript has pretty powerful parsing tools, no Twine story format is really equipped for pure text-parsing IF out of the box, though it is theoretically possible.

Twine is an interactive development environment (IDE) for HTML, JavaScript, and CSS, the three languages used to power most of the websites on the Internet. This means that almost anything you can imagine or have seen a web page do is possible in Twine. The story formats used by Twine are sort of like game engines, and provide you with a bunch of useful tools and shortcuts. You can also edit the JavaScript, HTML, and CSS of your story to add any functionality you might want. Generally, as long as your game is in fact IF or is similar to IF (as opposed to say, a platformer), Twine will be helpful.