Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changing passage text with custom macro

Is there an easy way to change or add text to a passage with a custom macro?

For example if I have, in the story javascript
macros.add("randText", {
    handler: function(){
        try{
            //code to determine output
        }
        catch(e){
            return this.error("randText error!" + e.message);
        }
    }
});

that would give me a <<randText>> macro
But I can't figure out what to actually put in the function to alter the text in the passage.

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Why not use the built-in DOM manipulation macros? The DOM Content and DOM Classes macros, and likely some of the Interactive macros like <<click>>, should prove useful.
  • That works if I want a specific output.
    Say I have an array of multiple strings, and I want to pick one and display it. I find it much easier and cleaner to write a function that selects one of those strings and gives it as output, rather than adding a block of code directly to my passages. Especially if it is one that I plan to use multiple times, I can just call that function/macro rather than duplicating the code block every time I want to use it.

Basically, if I have a passage where the player is at the zoo, I'd like to be able to do something like
    You are looking at a <<ramdomAnimal>>.
    rather than having to put the entire code block for picking a random animal on that page.

Does that make sense?
  • You don't state which version of SugarCube you are using so I will assume it is the one that comes with Twine 2.0.8

You may wish to use a widget instead of a custom macro, they basically do the same thing but one allows you to use macros to implement it instead of requiring Javascript.

1. Initialized a variable named $animals in your StoryInit passage like so:
    <<set $animals to ["monkey","bear", "cat"]>>

2. Create a new passage (I named mine Widgets), assign it a widget tag and place the following in it:
    note: arrays are zero based, meaning the first element has an index of zero not one.
    <<widget "ramdomAnimal">><<print $animals[random(0,$animals.length-1)]>><</widget>>

3. Now try your example in one of your passages:
    You are looking at a <<ramdomAnimal>>.

• Instead of indexing the array, I'd suggest one of the following:
    <<widget "ramdomAnimal">><<print either($animals)>><</widget>>

Or:
    <<widget "ramdomAnimal">><<print $animals.random()>><</widget>>

Other than that, greyelf is on the money.