Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to make a twine a page on Tumblr?

edited November 2015 in Help! with 2.0
Now, to clarify, I have seen this post about embedding a Twine html page into a tumblr post or page. However, that requires a separate host for the twine to start with if my understanding is correct.

Twine 1.4.2 allows me to copy the html of a twine and post it on tumblr as a custom page so that tumblr IS the host. I was hoping to be able to accomplish that with 2? 1.4.1 couldn't do this either, so I'm honestly not sure what's special about 1.4.2. I am willing to just work with the older twine and sugarcane, but I was hoping to upgrade to the second twine is all.

1 doesn't seem to have an iframe, and I'm not confident enough to rally be dissecting code. I think it might be a difference in CSS, and if that's the case I'm just wondering if Twine 2 will ever be capable of being hosted by tumblr or if I should stick to 1.

I've tested my usual copy/pasting with both 2.0.8 and 2.0.9 if that's important, both using Harlowe and Sugarcane. Posting to tumblr in 1.4.2 works with Sugarcane and any custom formats I've loaded.

Comments

• Essande wrote: »
    However, that requires a separate host for the twine to start with if my understanding is correct.
    1 doesn't seem to have an iframe, and I'm not confident enough to rally be dissecting code.
    That solution consists of two HTML pages/files:
    1. The story HTML file generated by Twine.
    2. The tumblr page you want to embed the story HTML file into.

The iFrame element mentioned in the linked comment is added to the tumblr page (point 2) not the story HTML file itself. In the linked example the src attribute of the iframe referenced a different domain but it can also reference a story HTML file on the same domain.

eg. Say your tumblr is me.tumblr.com and uploaded story file is mystory.html then the iframe in your tumblr page would be something like:
    <iframe src="http://me.tumblr.com/mystory.html"; width="640" height="480" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="no" scrolling="yes">
    </iframe>
    note: the actual value in the src attribute will likely be more complex because the URL of the uploaded story HTML file wil be more complex.
  • Ah okay. So basically if I want to use 2 at this point in time it needs to be on a post and hosted outside of tumblr.

Creating a custom page with 2.0.9's Harlowe at the moment creates a blank page, as does Sugarcane. Because it it blanks out like that, having an iframe doesn't help matters.

1.4.2's Sugarcane let me make a custom page to host stories like this. I realize I didn't explain that well. I was just copy/pasting the twine html straight to tumblr. I'll be ticking to 1.4.2 for now, but hopefully 2 will magically let me do the same at some point! Thanks for your help though!
  • The issue has little to do with Twine 1 or 2 and more to do with the fact that tumblr seems to only want to allow you to upload static theme assets like images, CSS and Javascript and not static HTML pages like the generated story html file.

Googling the subject of uploading static files shows that you can upload a static HTML page but also implies that tumblr may ban you if they catch you doing so.