Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Save game in Harlowe

Right now I am using harlowe to make a simple story. I have not gone in far with the coding, just used the double brackets to make new passages, and some css to edit the stylesheet. Is there any way to make a save game function in harlowe, or do I need to switch story format. I just dont want to lose the css and passages if I do so. I also do not want to have to save the game through the browser.
Thanks

Comments

• Hi,

Are you asking about how to save your own work? If so, it is the same for every story format, you have to "Publish to File" in the Twine 2 program, and then choose a location where to save it to. This will generate a HTML file you can later import to continue your work.

If you are asking for a function that your readers/players can use to save the progress of their story/game, then the current version of Harlowe does not have a save function, but a soon to be released version (1.1) I think does have that function.

However, since you have not done any code work on your story, you could just switch to SugarCube format, which does have a save game option for the readers/players. (I am not familiar with SugarCube, so I cannot advise you on how to use it. But many forum members are. There are probably other threads with info on how to use the SugarCube save game function).
  • I meant for the players. Thanks.
  • I just tried switching. I dont like the look of the interface at all. Is this something that can be changed with html/css?
  • Also, for longer games are players just supposed to keep the page open so they dont lose their progress?
  • ygmantell wrote: »
    I just tried switching. I dont like the look of the interface at all. Is this something that can be changed with html/css?

If you are talking about the interface of SugarCube, then you may want to check out @Sharpe's guide for changing the CSS and HTML.
    ygmantell wrote: »
    Also, for longer games are players just supposed to keep the page open so they dont lose their progress?

My understanding is that they can turn their computer off and then come back and start from where they left off, but as I don't know much about SugarCube, I can't give you solid information. Hopefully someone with SugarCube knowledge can help you.
  • edited June 2015
    SugarCube save feature persists after you close the browser, turn computer off etc. It even has an export save to external file option so can persist after you throw the computer out the window.

As for the look, yes you can easily change the look of SugarCube. Everything's just CSS. You need to look into altering body, #ui-bar, #ui-body, and maybe .passage.

• Claretta wrote: »
    SugarCube save feature persists after you close the browser, turn computer off etc. It even has an export save to external file option so can persist after you throw the computer out the window.

That's a very attractive feature!!

• Here are two ways to change the look. One is called bleached and one is called Bookish. Both designed by TME.

If you take the bookish, and just remove the part labeled bookish (by the way), it becomes bleached.

http://www.motoslave.net/sugarcube/tmp/bookish.html
  • edited June 2015
    PS, these go in the CSS stylesheet
    Well... said more correctly, you import the story first. and THEN you modify it in the CSS
  • Sage wrote: »
    Here are two ways to change the look. One is called bleached and one is called Bookish. Both designed by TME.

You can design your own look from scratch, don't need to stick to those stylesheets.
  • @Claretta
    Hahaha.... of COURSE he can do his own from scratch. But judging by the questions, It seems more like giving him a place to start was more helpful!

We can't all be as good as you!
  • soooooooo are you still here? i know a way the player can get 2 numbers they can enter into two prompt boxes that will save their progress.... if you wanna know it =P
  • soooooooo are you still here? i know a way the player can get 2 numbers they can enter into two prompt boxes that will save their progress.... if you wanna know it =P

it would have worked if it wasn't for one thing.... i'm gonna report it as a bug....

it would have worked if it wasn't for one thing.... i'm gonna report it as a bug....

meh, fixed it ^^ i'll post it somewhere =P
  • edited November 2015
    @Sage how do I import the Bookish template?
  • HarangueIF wrote: »
    @Sage how do I import the Bookish template?
    This comment on the Another Twine Poem experiment with form thread contains information about the Bookish layout.
  • Re. CSS.

Customisation of the look of your game seems to be absolute, which I love. I highly recommend that Firefox users get the Firebug add-on (other browsers have their own version). Then it's as simple as hovering over any of the elements you want to change in order to get their class names etc.
  • You don't need Firebug for that. Firefox has come with its own suite of, really rather good, developer tools for quite some time now.
  • Mmm, not aware of those. Thing is I know where I am with Firebug.