Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to store a variable through a link inside of a loop

I've been racking my brain on this for some time now and I can't think of a way to do it. I want to create a set of links inside of a for loop using the length of the array as the number of links and the items in each slot in the array as the link names. So if I have an inventory array consisting of 3 items i'd want 3 links with the items in each slot as the link names. This part, I can do.

The part I'm stuck on is they will all link to the same passage but I can't figure out how to pass through the variable that the user wants. Say the user wants to use or equip item 2 out of the 3. How can I pass the value of item 2 through the link if it's generated in a for loop for an array of unknown size?

In my example, I'm using objects to store items in classes and subclasses (Armor.TypeOfArmor.MaterialOfTypeOfArmor.Properties). Where TypeOfArmor is helm, shield, chest etc... MaterialOfTypeOfArmor is iron, steel, wood, etc... and properties are things like name, defensive capabilities, durability etc...

Code I have:
<<for $i to 0; $i lt Object.keys($Armor.Helm).length; $i++>><<set $temptext to Object.keys($Armor.Helm)[$i]>>
<<print ($i+1) + ". ">>ChosenHelm
<</for>>

This code currently spits out all the links I want properly but doesn't pass the MaterialOfTypeOfArmor through the link that I want.

Can anyone help with this problem?

Comments

• note: Because I don't know what the value of $Armor.Helm is I am going to use a simpler array in my example.

The trick is to use a <<print>> macro to create a markup link based on the relevant variables.
    <<set $keys to ["one","two","three"]>>

<<for $i to 0; $i lt $keys.length; $i++>>
    	<<print ($i+1) + ". [[" + $keys[$i] + "|ChosenHelm]]">>
    <</for>>

... the above should generate three markup links which all have a Target Passage Name of ChosenHelm and with Link Texts of:
    1. one
    2. two
    3. three
  • I guess the more specific question I have (since I'm new to twine but have coded in Java and C before), is there a way to pass on to the next passage, which link was clicked? Say that while the player is strolling through the dungeon they pick up 2 more helms so the links generated say:

1. none
    2. wood
    3. steel
    4. diamond
    5. Mithril

I want the next passage to be passed a variable based on which link was clicked in a way that I can use it to change the $Character.Helm variable to either point to the specific helm in $Armor.Helm.TypeofHelm.PropertiesofHelm Datamap object or have that part saved to another array to just become an array consisting of Typeofhelm.PropertiesofHelm so I can use it and have the game recognize it's "equipped".

Basically the character will go into their inventory and click on a link generated and I want the game to set a variable based on which link they clicked. so if they click the third link then the game will set a variable so I can use it to tell the $Character object that the steel helm is equipped. same with the second link or fourth link, or hell, if I include 20 helms, I want it to know that the player clicked that 20th link.

Any way I can do this using a <<click>> macro or anything?
  • The same <<print>> technique works for Markup based Link w/ Text & Setter. Note the usage of both single and double quotes because the Setter part of the markup link requires the embedded string value to be quoted.
    <<set $keys to ["one","two","three"]>>
    <<set $item to "">>

<<for $i to 0; $i lt $keys.length; $i++>>
    	<<print ($i+1) + '. [[' + $keys[$i] + '|ChosenHelm][$item to "' + $keys[$i] + '"]]'>>
    <</for>>

... the above uses the $item variable to passage the key associated with the selected option to the ChosenHelm passage, which you can see using the following within the ChosenHelm passage:
    Item: $item

• You've solved the issue I was having though another question remains, how do I get the syntax properly written to make <<set $Character.Helm to $Armor.Helm.($item)>>. I've tried brackets, braces, quotations, everything. I just can't get the $Character.Helm value to essentially point to the TypeOfHelmet being worn so that when I call $Character.Helm later whether it be for .durability or .ability or .cost it gives me the values I want.
  • Without actual examples of value (and type) being stored in variables like $Armor.Helm I am going to assume it is a set of key/value pairs, if this is true then try the following:
    <<set $Character.Helm to $Armor.Helm[$item]>>

• I swear I've tried that code before and it didn't work for some reason. Just popped that in and it worked!! Thanks greyelf, really appreciate the work you do for everyone!!