Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Link text different than passage name?

Hi, I could seem to find any topic about this, so I thought I'd ask.
I'm having trouble making passage names that are similar or the same as what I had used before, so I was going to start going numeric. Only problem is, I can't exactly put the link in the previous passage as "1" with no explanation as to what is going on next.

So my question is this: How do you make the link 'name' go to a passage without it being the exact same wording
Example: I give the option of Move Forward, but I want it to go to the passage labeled as "73".

How would I do this?

Comments

• You need to state which Story Format you are using when you ask a question, as answers can be different for each one.

The How To Create Links section of the Twine 2 Guide contains examples of Markup link with the Target Passage Name different to the Link Text.
  • My favourite technique for this is to do this (in Harlowe)
    (link: "what you want to show up")[(goto: "passagename")passagename]

I find that easier than figuring out the arrows but as far as I know

also works :)
  • bassair wrote: »
    I find that easier than figuring out the arrows but as far as I know
    also works :)
    Your example would result in a Link Text of whatyouwanttoshowup-, note the minus sign on the end of the text. This is because you incorrectly have a --> between your Link Text and Target Passage Name, and the guide clearly shows that it should be a -> if you are using arrows.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    You need to state which Story Format you are using when you ask a question, as answers can be different for each one.

I didn't specify which story format because from what I understand, some things work better/easier in other formats.
  • Kriptess wrote: »
    I didn't specify which story format because from what I understand, some things work better/easier in other formats.
    The core features available to an Author are defined by the story format they choose, because each one contains its own custom designed engine.

A list of some of the things that are different in each format:
    a. Macro syntax, the format of the macro language.
    b. List of core macros.
    c. Ways to add custom macros/features.
    d. Structure of the base static and dynamic generated HTML, effects default layout.
    e. Base CSS selectors used, effects default layout and style.
    f. Ability to use markup to style passage content.
    g. Ability to save/reload Reader's progress though story, both internally and to file.