Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanna help me playtest my first story?

edited March 2016 in Workshop
It sort of spun a little complex for my first story with lots of webs. Wondering if it's A) playable and B) if there's anything I'm missing.

Also, general feedback and tips for a first-timer would be great.

http://nerdlouisville.org/stories/thetomb_chapter1.html

Comments

• Doesn't seem playable... I tried three times and each time, there came a point where I tried to go down the long hall way or return to the long hallway and I was taken to a blank page.

Also a small writing thing, no matter if the pronouns used to describe a person in a stasis chamber are he/him/his she/her, the second to last paragraph always reads 'you figure you could release her from somewhere remotely'.

For a first time this looks pretty good tho, but I'm not a good judge of that since I'm working on my first project.
  • Hey, I had a quick play as I was having lunch at work but seems playable enough to me! I got the the key card bit then had to x out and get back to work!
  • Story: I enjoyed the story. I particularly liked the way you offered many elements and places to explore that offered various ways of putting together a means of escape. In two playthroughs I didn't manage to do so--died instead--but, hey that's part of the fun. The plot had a lot of your standard sci-fi elements but it didn't come across as overly cliché. From my point of view, it felt comfortably familiar, but interesting.

Writing: I thought the writing was very well done. I don't recall seeing any typos, and only a couple of instances where the grammar might have been a little off. It's nice to read a story where the writer has taken the time to proof it and clean it up.

Mechanics: Everything flowed well and clicked through to where it should, and choices appeared and disappeared as they should. I didn't have any problems with the mechanics of it. There were a couple of places where large blocks of white space showed up between the paragraphs, like after the "Your knees ache in pain from the scrapes…" paragraph.

Overall: Thought it was excellent. The story started off at a fast clip and moved me right along. You got me to feel a little stressed out about my situation, especially when I discovered the time element. Seems like you put a good amount of effort into it, which shows. I'll probably try to play it again to get a good ending. If you ever add ambient sounds, I think that would be cool.
  • This was really fun! I am pretty new to IF so take these comments with a grain of salt ;-)
    In terms of the writing style, I thought the game worked very well. Good pacing, sufficient detail to vividly picture the scenes without getting tedious. Lots of tension, exciting plot with plenty of hooks.
    I would have appreciated more updates on the time -- going from "you have 40 minutes" to "you have 3 minutes" seemed a bit abrupt. Maybe it would add to the tension to actually have a clock that changes with every move?
    Personally, I don't like it when the only way to progress is to explore all options even when there's no obvious reason to do it. First time I played I didn't look at my sarcophagus and thus got stuck later; the only way I realised the problem was by exhaustively searching until I found the one option I hadn't tried. That was not so much fun.
    Also, why expect the player to memorise arbitrary stuff like which sarcophagus has which individual when you could just remind us in-game?
    Anyway, I am just nit-picking. And I'm evidently a lot lazier than most IF fans. Lots of very popular games do this sort of thing and nobody seems to mind.
    All in all, I really enjoyed the game.