Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for Devs (About grouping passages)

Hi!

I wanted yo ask if you are planning to include possibility to create groups for passages in the story map?

I found lack of possibility to group my passages disturbing when trying to create complex story with really LOTS of them (and also there could be non-readable for player technical passages). It would greatly help to have a possibility of grouping them together, probably using different colors and names for different groups. If you find it difficult to understand the idea, I can make a draft of what I mean :)

Comments

• That would be helpful. As my "tiny" test/learning game grows, I am seeing a use for some kind of secondary organization. I can't even put my head around the complexity of a large game.
  • The Twine 1 application allows you to do this via it's StoryIncludes special passage.

You can divide your story into multiple story project TWS files, one parent and one-or-more children and then use a StoryIncludes passage in the parent TWS file to include the child TWS files when you build your story HTML file.
  • Interesting. I jumped in on two.
  • Twine 2 is not a progressive upgrade of Twine 1, they are both applications for building Twine story HTML files. The Harlowe story format is only available in Twine 2.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    Twine 2 is not a progressive upgrade of Twine 1, they are both applications for building Twine story HTML files. The Harlowe story format is only available in Twine 2.

So... There is no way to organize such thing yet?

• edited April 2016
    I don't know of a built-in Twine 2 feature that allows you to group passages, there is talk on the project website about possibly colour coding the passage tags which may allow you to manually/visually group passages with similar colours.

I don't know of any future built-in enhancement that would allow you to merge the contents of multiple story projects in to a single Story HTML file.
    It would not be that hard to manually generate a fake story project file by merging the contents of real story project files together, although you would need to handle things like:

a. renumber passage with duplicate passage pids.

b. rename passage with duplicate passage names, and the relevant links. It may be easier to remove the duplicates.

c. reposition passages with overlapping passage positions.

One of the Developers may have a better answer about possible future enhancements.
  • Has anyone found a solution for this?