Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any interest in a Twine 2 -> Twee export story format?

The combination of these two notions...
[list type=decimal]
I've done some projects in the past with Twine 1.x that involved exporting stories to twee format for import into another environment, and I wasn't seeing that option in Twine 2.
I wanted to learn about how custom story formats are implemented and handled in Twine 2.

...led me to the experiment of creating a custom Story Format that exports your story in twee format. It's pretty simple, just implementing the basic twee format and not trying to include any of the Twine 2 metadata or anything, but I figured it might be useful, and it gave me a good excuse to learn how to make a story format.

So first of all, is there an actual twee export option somewhere in Twine 2, or has someone already provided something similar? I tried searching here and elsewhere to make sure, but I just started learning about Twine 2 so I could just be overlooking it.

If there's not, any interest in a story format that just converts your Twine 2 story to twee source?

[img width=800 height=463]http://i.imgur.com/SqRtTd6.png[/img]

Comments

• Well done, an excellent start.
  • Hey, I am interested in this. Is there a link to the story format?
  • Sure - I've got a page with some usage info and the story format link here:

Entweedle @ Maximum Verbosity

I've talked to a couple of people who are using it successfully, so hopefully it'll do what you need but let me know if you run into any issues.
  • Well done
  • This will no doubt be useful to a sizable subset of Twine's target audience, so I would suggest a link to this (or progress on it) be posted somewhere in an official capacity, at the very least. If it isn't adopted completely into a later update to Twine anyway.
  • As long as people are finding it useful, Entweedle will be available at its current address indefinitely. If anyone wants to reuse the code for twee exporting or anything similar (I've already talked to one person using it as the starting point for another export format), it's short, fairly simple, and MIT licensed so feel free to add it to other story formats or to Twine itself or whatever -- just please drop me a line and let me know.  ;)
  • Thank you, this is definitely very useful. I too use the 1.x Twee format to integrate Twine stories in a different environment. Lack of export is only part of the problem when migrating to Twine 2, though. My integration solution includes a parser that reads the TiddlyWiki syntax which was the standard in 1.x, but now that every story format can define its own macro syntax there's no longer any clear standard. I wonder why the standard approach was dropped? Writing a story now involves committing to a specific story format, whereas before there the flexibility to switch story formats at any point.
  • daterre wrote:

My integration solution includes a parser that reads the TiddlyWiki syntax which was the standard in 1.x, but now that every story format can define its own macro syntax there's no longer any clear standard. I wonder why the standard approach was dropped? Writing a story now involves committing to a specific story format, whereas before there the flexibility to switch story formats at any point.

There was never a "standard approach" in Twine 1 to begin with.  Snowman (for Twine 1), isn't remotely like any of the TiddlyWiki-based story formats (being Markdown-based and lacking a macro system in favor of pure JavaScript).  Beyond that, even among the Twine 1.x vanilla story formats there are differences, particularly between Jonah and Sugarcane/Responsive (they're generally minor, yes, but they do exist).  There's also SugarCube (for Twine 1), which while TiddlyWiki-based, has differences compared to the vanilla story formats.  While you can switch between the Twine 1 TiddlyWiki-based story formats without too much difficulty, unless your story is very basic, there will be issues to resolve (and the more you push the formats, the greater the issues will be).

The only way in which Twine 2 pushes this further is by including Snowman and SugarCube among the basic story format choices, whereas in Twine 1 you had to install them separately.
  • This is excellent, and very useful. Thanks!
  • Just an update, tried to use this recently, but because twinery uses https it rejects the link as a story format. The way to solve this, for the time being, is to change the twinery address to http when using the entweedle format. This was helpfully pointed out to me by @gnustoboz.
  • edited July 2016
    This has come up a couple of times now, which meant I should stop slacking about getting this fixed. Entweedle is now also available via HTTPS:

https://www.maximumverbosity.net/twine/Entweedle/format.js

It's also MIT licensed so feel free to re-host it somewhere else or change it as needed. :)
  • Thanks, I can confirm this is working now :)