Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Can I Install Sugarcube 2.x as a Format?

I keep trying to install Sugarcube 2.x as a format, but, for whatever reason, am told that the file is not able to be attached. How do I properly install Sugarcube 2.x into Twine 2? I would really appreciate the help!

Comments

• Have you read this guide?
    If yes, can you let us know at which point of the steps below you are seeing the issue?
    + Download the current local/offline version of SugarCube 2.x for Twine 2.
    + Extract the archive to a safe location on your computer and take note of the path to it. Make sure to keep the files together if you move them out of the included directory.
    + Launch Twine 2.
    + Click on the Formats link in the Twine 2 sidebar.
    + In the dialog that opens, click on the Add a New Format tab.
    + Finally, paste a file URL to the format.js file, based on the path from step #2, into the textbox and click the +Add button (see below for examples).
  • If you're trying to add SC2 to the online version of Twine, then it appears there's a bug.
  • Better to use the offline Twine version anyway, IMO. It just seems more robust.
  • You can only add third-party story formats to either:

1. a local copy of the web-browser based release of the application, which can be download from the download page and are the archive files without an operation system postfix in the file name. eg. twine_2.0.11.zip

2. the install-able release of the application, which can be downloaded from either the main web-page or from the same downloads web-page in which case they are the archive files with an operation system postfix in the file name. eg. twine_2.0.11_win64.exe or twine_2.0.11_osx.zip
  • You can install third-party formats in the online version of Twine, but you have to use a secure URL, not a file system location.

You also can't have two formats with the same name in most situations, but in that case the error message should be more explicit than you're getting.
  • I figured it out. I just had to export an external .exe file of Sugarcube-2, and form it to say ".js" at the end. I appreciated the help!