Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strange beginner question.

Hi! I've messed around a bit with Twine before, and decided to do it again now that 2.1 is available. After installing it and launching it I'm faced with this, however;

dd357aea7a.png

Yep, that's it. If I press "Twine" I can click on "Show library" or "Quit", though nothing happens if I do so. "Edit" just have options of cutting, pasting etc. I can't do anything, not even shut the program down except with the task manager. I've tried reinstalling it, and I'm using the correct version (the Win 64, as that is my OS. I've tried the Win 32 version as well, though).

Comments

• Your settings could be trashed. Try the following:
    1. If Twine 2.1 is open, close it.
    2. Open the Run window (key: WIN+R).
    3. Type in the following.
      %LocalAppData%

4. That should open a Windows/File Explorer window to a location similar to the following.
      C:\Users\{USER_ID}\AppData\Local

5. Find the Twine directory in that local application data directory and delete it. Do not delete the one in your documents directory, as that contains your story data.
    6. Attempt to launch Twine 2 again.
  • Thanks for the help, unfortunately that didn't work. Same problem.
  • edited February 2017
    Hey there, I'm having almost the same issue :
    I can create a story though Twine 2.1.0 won't save it, I have to manually export it to an HTML file every time I want to save, and open it from there;
    I can't close Twine either, neither with the upper right Cross, nor with the Quit command.

I tried what you proposed, TheMadExile, it didn't work :(

I am on Windows 10 family, Version : "1607", 64 bit.

I am using the install-able application, on Harlowe 2.0, and Twine 2.1.0

Thanks for the help !

• I have the same problem on Win 10 pro/64. I install Twine. I run it, I can't close it again. It doesn't save anything if I kill it by TM. It seems everything works fine except for the automatic saving feature. It gets stuck saving and stays there.
    Does anyone have a solution for this?
  • I have the same problem. I can't close twine. I checked my documents folder and a twine/story folder exist, but it won't save my stories.
  • Strange that no one seems to know the solution, considering it's about as big a problem as it could be.
  • cider wrote: »
    Strange that no one seems to know the solution, considering it's about as big a problem as it could be.
    There are a number of Issues on the Twine 2 project's repository related to these problems, which mostly seem to be related to how the application tries to 'localise' internally used folder names for those people not using English as their primary operating system language. See issue #353 for an example.

Sometimes there is no simple quick fix/solution to an issue, and the only way to solve it is to release a new version of an application. This is not always possible to do quickly for a number of reasons, like the required changes are not ready for release yet.
  • Just thought I'd update this and say that Twine now works. I tried installing it again the other day and this time it works as intended. I've no idea what's changed since last time I tried, unfortunately, so I can't help anyone else.
  • cider wrote: »
    I tried installing it again the other day and this time it works as intended.
    Did you perhaps install the newer 2.1.2 version of Twine that was release recently?
  • Most likely what greyelf said. Twine newest version is supposed to fix that bug.